Светодиодные фонари и световые приборы. Всё о светотехнике.
Вернуться   Форум FONAREVKA.RU Обзоры фонарей Flashlight Reviews
Расширенный поиск
Забыли пароль? Регистрация

• О нашем проекте
  • Светотехника и световые приборы
  • Правила форума
Проект FONAREVKA.RU специализируется на предоставлении всей необходимой информации по светотехнике:

— светодиодные фонари;
— различные источники питания;
— разнообразные зарядные устройства;
— освещение помещений и наружное освещение;
— световые приборы для личного, пассажирского и грузового транспорта;
— специальные световые приборы для медицины, для растений, для аквариумов, для террариумов, а также аварийно-сигнальные световые приборы;
— альтернативные источники света;
— лазеры и лазерная техника.

Если у вас есть вопросы по выбору фонарей, аккумуляторов и зарядных устройств ознакомьтесь с FAQ от наших экспертов:

F.A.Q. по выбору фонарей различных типов;
F.A.Q. по выбору аккумуляторов;
F.A.Q. по выбору зарядных устройств.
Ответ  Создать новую тему
Просмотров в теме 13854   Ответов в теме 5   Подписчиков на тему 1   Добавили в закладки 0
Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Старый 25.06.2010, 02:40 Автор темы   1
Увлеченный

Последняя активность: 23.08.2013 16:00

По умолчанию Surefire M3LT Review (Pics, Indoor Beamshots, Runtimes)

Here's my first post. I hope you guys like it.

Cheers,
Tim

SUREFIRE M3LT REVIEW

This is my first review of a Surefire light, the M3LT which also happens to be one of their newest releases. It was gifted to me as a combo Anniversary/Father’s day present from my family. The light was purchased from Battery Junction who received one of the very first batches of these lights. Thanks as always to Matt and the crew for the quick shipping and outstanding service!

RELEVANT SPECS
- Lumens Outputs (Runtime) - HIGH: 400 (1.7hrs) LOW: 70 (8.5hrs)
- Weight (w/primaries) - 10.9 oz (309g)
- Length - 8.7" (22.1 cm)
- Bezel Diameter - 2.5" (6.4 cm)
- Power source - 3 x 123A Lithium
Link to Surefire's M3LT page

SIZE COMPARISON TO OTHER LIGHTS
Compared to other turboheads.

L to R: Surefire M3LT | Lumapower VX Ultra w/TF Kit | Jetbeam RRT-1 | Dereelight DBS V3

Compared to other Surefire's.
L to R: M3LT | U2A | E2DL | Z2 | G2Z

[NEW MATERIAL & PICS 6/22 9:08PM NYT]
And here it is next to a M1X (3-cell configuration). The two lights are similar in overall size and its use of the MC-E. Where it really differs is in the head:

[END MATERIAL & PICS 6/22 9:08PM NYT]

PACKAGING

The light comes in a foam -lined box that is encased in an outer shell box. Aside from the requisite manual, registration card and battery warning sheet, the only additional accessory included with the light is a lanyard and they also threw in a logo sticker. Of course the light comes pre-installed with Surefire batteries (as with all Surefire lights and in this case, three of them).

DESIGN / FEATURES
Despite sharing the same model name as the M3 line, the M3LT is not a simple LED reincarnation of its incan brethrens (a la G2 LED vs. G2) but rather a completely new design sharing no parts w/the M3 or M3T. It has the same recessed slotted elements as can be found on their newer lights (A2L, LX2, AZ2, etc.) and comes with a completely new head labeled, KX9T.

I find this interesting as it may indicate that they will eventually offer it for sale independently.

The light uses a 4-die Cree MC-E LED but alas, it is hidden behind a Fresnel Lens (pronounced: FRAY-NELL and thanks to Bill for pointing this out) which sits behind a semi-frosted main lens (at least they appear to be two separate lens).

This is truly a sight to behold when illuminated or not:

[NEW MATERIAL 6/22 1:04AM NYT]
You can see this beam pattern of the Fresnel Lens as projected through a paper laid on top (left)

The pattern is also visible when projected close to an object (right), but quickly melds into nice smooth hotspot once you pull the light a few inches away from the object.
[END NEW MATERIAL 6/22 1:04AM NYT]

Per the main purpose behind a Fresnel Lens, the main goal is to achieve better throw of oblique light using a lens in a more compact form vs. a reflector or traditional spherical lens. This is quite different than the TIR optic used to date in their lights (e.g. E2DL):

I’d have to believe the intent was to reduce the overall depth of the head as much space has already been allotted to five fins in the throat area. The head alone measures 2.67” from the tip of the semi-crenulated bezel to where the base meets the battery tube. The imbalance of the head to throat area gives the light an awkward look which to me bears an unflattering resemblance to a certain toilet plunger. While to me it ultimately doesn’t looks as sleek as the M3 or M3T, in the few days of ownership, the style has grown on me and I’ve come to really like the design a lot.

Incidentally, the fins must work pretty well given the quoted 400 lumens OTF on high for 1.7 hours (until the output drops below 50 lumens). This is now twice the stated output of the next highest rated LED lights (ED2L, LX2) in their lineup while maintaining very reasonable runtimes. I’m really digging the direction they are headed.

The MC-E and Fresnel Lens combine to produce a really nice large hotspot w/very little spill which can be viewed in the beamshots to follow. It in essence produces a beam very similar to the E2DL but with even less spill. While this may not appeal to everyone, ultimately with fixed focus lights it boils down to horses for courses (what is your usage?).

I don’t know the primary demographic Surefire had in mind as the intended consumers for this light but given the form factor, I envisioned it to be used as a medium to long-distance search/spotlight with the focus being solely in the hotspot while still being a reasonable size. It provides the perfect balance between a pencil sized beam and a flood (and thus reduces the distractions to ones peripheral vision when used as such).

[NEW MATERIAL 6/21 9:03PM NYT] Removing the head and peering behind it, you will find that Surefire has installed a proprietary system to mount the LED, there will be no simple way of swapping it out like in the lights that use the P60 formats. There also did not seem to be a way to twist this module loose.

There was ample grease applied to the inner threads of the head.

The negative and positive contacts are both via springs with a wire soldered to each:

I've always found it interesting that on non-P60 formats, Surefire has chosen to go with some type of plastic resin as the base of their LED modules. This would seem counterintuitive in terms of heatsinking, however, I wonder if perhaps this was intentional as heat always seeks to "transfer" to a colder source and having a huge metal heatsink sitting within the head of the LED would only temporarily draw the heat there but ultimately trap it within the head whereas they may have designed a better thermal path for the heat to escape away from the head via the cooling fins. Of course this is all conjecture on my part and until the head is disassembled, we would not have any insight into the thermal design of the light (given the newness of the light, I'd be loathe to disassemble it just yet so I will not be entertaining any suggestions for such... ).
[END NEW MATERIAL 6/21 9:03PM NYT]

Continuing away from the head to the battery tube, you will find the standard laser etchings (model, patent #'s & logo) and amongst them is Surefire’s new logo which seems to have been well received by the CPF community if initial responses are any indication:

I quite like the edginess to it vs. the more rounded profile of the old logo but I can’t really say I have a preference for one over the other. To me, they both look great and evokes feelings of quality, reliability and performance. Given the newness of this logo, there is inconsistency in it use as the manual and the box that came w/the light still had the old logo (likewise the included sticker).

[NEW MATERIAL AND PICS: 6/22 1:20AM]
The anodizing is flawless as can be seen in these close ups:

[END NEW MATERIAL AND PICS: 6/22 1:20AM]

The battery tube is thinner than the head and tailcap a la Z2 and I've always been quite fond of this style over the standard 6P. Like the Z2, being designated a CombatLight, it features a CombatGrip wherein there are three rubber spacer rings (one flared) around the tube that one can move around to customize a more secure grip or for use with the Rogers/Surefire Technique.

[NEW PIC: 6/22 1:18AM]

[END NEW PIC: 6/22 1:18AM]

I am neither a LEO nor in the military and don’t have a fighting bone in my body to speak of so will defer to those more knowledgeable about this. Interestingly enough, the instructions for the Rogers/Surefire Technique were not included with my light. I wonder if the omission was intentional given the girth of the light and potentially the impracticality of using it in such manner.

The great news though is that it can accomodate two 17500's (that's a AW peaking out the top):

Rounding out the light is the Lock-Out TailCap (LOTC) of which on mine was strangely missing the corresponding indent found on the body to allow alignment in the momentary-on position (M-OP). Here’s a pic comparing it to my Z2:

I can’t imagine that this was intentional and the instructions seem to imply that there is such a position under the Battery Replacement section (emphasis are mine): “Replace tailcap and rotate clockwise to the momentary-on position. Depress tailcap pushbutton switch to test.”. This would seem to indicate that there should be a known/visible M-OP. I will contact Surefire about this and post back when I hear from them. Ultimately, it’s not a big deal since one would just need to tighten the LOTC until low comes on and then unscrew it about 1/8th of a turn.

In spite of the new design, the light does retain the same thread on the body so that it can accept C, G, P, Z LOTCs (although you’ll lose High mode as explained in UI section) as well as M series heads (except M2 which is actually C series compatible in spite of the M designation, for more on M-series compatible heads, check this excellent thread out). To emphasize this point, here it is with a Z41 LOTC and TSL TX3 head (M body compatible): [NEW PIC: 6/22 9:25PM]

[END NEW PIC: 6/22 9:25PM]
While the M3LT’s LOTC will thread on to the Z2, it doesn’t engage even when fully tightened due to the increased thread depth.

UI
The UI is very simple in that there are only two modes that can be accessed through one successive press of the pushbutton on the LOTC in the M-OP; depress lightly for Low and continue depressing further for High. The LOTC can be twisted a little past the M-OP to be locked in Low and further twisted to be locked in High.

[NEW MATERIAL AND PICS 6/22 1:13AM]
There is a lot more thread on this light as opposed to a Z2:

EDIT: Upon further inspection, it only appears to have maybe 1mm more of thread, it's the combination of the longer LOTC as as well as the space aft the threads that has increased.

The gap with the LOTC in M-OP is roughly 3mm (left) and increases to a full 7mm before it can be locked out:

[END NEW MATERIAL AND PICS 6/22 1:13AM]

This contributes to a lot more depth one can create for the feel of the pushbutton. For instance, there is a 1 ½ rotation gap one can loosen the LOTC from the M-OP and still retain both modes. By 2 full rotations loose from M-OP one can manage to lock out just the high mode and full lock out is achieved by 2 ¾ rotations. However, this also makes it a PITA to change batteries and gives your forearms quite a workout as it takes nearly 6 ½ full rotations before the LOTC can be removed from the M-OP!

While this UI has its merits, I’m not a huge fan of it. I may have to consider modding this in the future as I don‘t plan on entering the “Mr. Popeye Forearms“ or “America‘s Got Big Thumbs“ contests anytime soon. But what of the Z59 you say? Well you could install it but then you’d lose the high mode. From what I’ve read, the LOTCs in these 2-staged lights have a resistor in one of the stages to help trigger the low or high mode. However, I’m not certain why it then defaults to low mode when used with a Z41 (or a clicky from my U2A). I would’ve expected it to default to high mode. I’m sure one of you knows the answer to this and can reply in the thread after which I will reference the answer here.

[NEW MATERIAL AND PIC 6/23 12:03AM]
Here you can see the telltale signs of a PCB board within the LOTC, again, I have no idea what the circutry does and what goes the light to default to low vs. high:

Anybody care to hazard a guess? [END NEW MATERIAL AND PIC 6/23 12:03AM]

5M INDOOR BEAMSHOTS
All shots taken on stock Canon S3 IS @ f/2.7 using Sunlight WB as this was the most neutral I could get across all lights. Control shot taken @ 1/5" and all others @ 1/6".

CONTROL SHOT

Surefire M3LT (H | L)

Jetbeam M1X (OP) (H)

Surefire E2DL (200L) (H | L)

Surefire Z2 (OP) w/Dereelight XR-E WH R2 (H | L)

Lumapower VX Ultra w/TF Kit (SM) (H | L)

Jetbeam RRT-1 (SM) (H | L)

Dereelight DBS V3 (SM) w/nailbender's 3S SST-50(C) @ 2.5A (H | L)

Solarforce SS L2M (OP) w/supasizefries 3S SST-50(W) @ 2.5A (H | L)

Surefire KL4 Head (OP) w/SSC P4 on VitalGear FB1 (H) | Surefire U2A (OP) w/SSC P4 (H)

Against a smooth wall on H (M3LT | M1X) - 1/40", f/3.5

1M INDOOR BEAMSHOTS COMPARO BETWEEN M3LT & M1X
All shots taken on stock Canon S3 IS @ f/2.7 using Sunlight WB. Control shot taken @ 1/4" and all others @ 1/50".

CONTROL SHOT

M1X | M3LT

M1X | M3LT

OUTDOOR BEAMSHOTS
[TO COME]

RUNTIME (High)
[EDIT: Primary Runtime and updated chart added 6/24 1:06AM NYT] I'm not a big fan of primaries so I started off this test with a fresh set of 2 x AW protected 17500's which fits the same profile of 3 x 123A batteries. In spite of having roughly 71% of the capacity of a primary, it was only able to produce 42% of the stated runtime. However, the caveat is that these batteries have not even gone through one cycle yet so I will run additional tests in the weeks to come and will post updated runtimes as well as conducting tests on primaries.

Test Data (conducted w/fan on):

EDIT: I've now added runtimes for primaries using fresh SF123A's:

X axis = Time (Min) / Y axis = Relative light output

As you can see the runtime for primaries lives up to and actually surpasses Surefire's claim of 1.7hrs (102min) before output drops below 50 lumens (12.5%), in which case, using the relative output above and the initial stabilized brightness at about 150, 12.5% of that would put it at 18.75 which is around the 120 min. mark or so. So there you have it ladies and gents, not only are they conservative with their output ratings but now runtime as well!
[END EDIT: 6/24 1:06AM NYT]

CONCLUSION
This is the first foray into both high output and multi-die LEDs for Surefire and I really liked the results. A search of the forums will yield many spirited debates on the cost to performance factor of any brand of lights so I will obviously not go into that here. Suffice to say that when I first joined CPF, I was an unenlightened newb and just couldn’t understand what all the hype around owning a Surefire light was about. I even made my wife cancel what was supposed to be a surprise gift in the form of a U2 citing that cost to lumens factor ratio. Now two and half years, five Surefire lights and an enlightended status later, I understand why many continue to choose to spend their hard earned dollars on these quality lights. They may not always be the brightest but that has never been the ultimate goal for Surefire.

While my career does not require that I entrust my life to the equipment I use, I take great comfort and satisfaction that should I ever need to do so, my Surefire light will not fail me and while I haven’t had to invoke Surefire’s warranty thus far, the many posts of I have read citing their positive track record assures me that they stand solidly behind their products.

Kudos to Surefire on this release, now let’s see some more!

Cheers,
Tim

BONUS: EYE CANDY

turboBB вне форума   Ответить с цитированием Вверх
Старый 25.06.2010, 03:41   2
Admin
Администратор

По умолчанию Re: Surefire M3LT Review (Pics, Indoor Beamshots, Runtimes)

Very Very nice work. Thanks for your hard work
Admin вне форума   Ответить с цитированием Вверх
Старый 25.06.2010, 03:51   3
Admin
Администратор

Unfortunately, in our tests flashlights we were able to test only the model Surefire E2E

Старый 25.06.2010, 12:53   4
Wolfsangel
Увлеченный

Последняя активность: 02.08.2022 16:41

Great review! Seems it's quite new and enteresting decision to use fresnel lens in flashlight, which gives a better beam (IMHO) on four-chip leds.
Wolfsangel вне форума   Ответить с цитированием Вверх
Старый 25.06.2010, 13:17   5
Firebird
Увлеченный

Последняя активность: 30.10.2023 23:34
Записей в дневнике: 1

Отправить сообщение для Firebird с помощью ICQ

turboBB, Great review.
Thanks!
Firebird вне форума   Ответить с цитированием Вверх
Старый 26.06.2010, 00:53   6
Admin
Администратор

Thread by turboBB updated: Added new material, pics and indoor beamshots
Ответ  Создать новую тему
Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Поиск в этой теме:

Расширенный поиск

Copyright ©2007 - 2024, FONAREVKA.RU