Светодиодные фонари и световые приборы. Всё о светотехнике.
Вернуться   Форум FONAREVKA.RU Обзоры фонарей Flashlight Reviews
Расширенный поиск
Забыли пароль? Регистрация

• О нашем проекте
  • Светотехника и световые приборы
  • Правила форума
Проект FONAREVKA.RU специализируется на предоставлении всей необходимой информации по светотехнике:

— светодиодные фонари;
— различные источники питания;
— разнообразные зарядные устройства;
— освещение помещений и наружное освещение;
— световые приборы для личного, пассажирского и грузового транспорта;
— специальные световые приборы для медицины, для растений, для аквариумов, для террариумов, а также аварийно-сигнальные световые приборы;
— альтернативные источники света;
— лазеры и лазерная техника.

Если у вас есть вопросы по выбору фонарей, аккумуляторов и зарядных устройств ознакомьтесь с FAQ от наших экспертов:

F.A.Q. по выбору фонарей различных типов;
F.A.Q. по выбору аккумуляторов;
F.A.Q. по выбору зарядных устройств.
Ответ  Создать новую тему
Просмотров в теме 6017   Ответов в теме 0   Подписчиков на тему 2   Добавили в закладки 2
Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Старый 12.06.2016, 13:20 Автор темы   1
Увлеченный

Последняя активность: 09.06.2017 16:17

Arrow Fenix RC11 rechargeable (XM-L2 U2, 1x18650 or 2xCR123A) Review

The RC11 is one of the new RC (rechargeable) series from Fenix. This is my first Fenix rechargeable flashlight, powered by 1x18650 or 2xCR123A. The packaging is the clear plastic container. You can see the features and specifications on the front, rear, and side of the packaging.

The light comes with removable pocket clip, spare o-ring, charging cable, user manual, warrant card. lanyard, and holster with velcro closing flap. Note that my review sample doesn't include a 18650 rechargeable Li-ion cell, as my local distributor (gooutdoor.com) doesn't supply it in my country.
Manufacturer Specifications from Fenix's website & manual :
• Utilizes Cree XM-L2 U2 LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
• Powered by one 18650 rechargeable Li-ion battery with button top or two CR123A Lithium batteries can be taken under emergency circumstance
• 113.5mm Length x 25.4mm Head Diameter (4.47'' x 1'')
• 70 grams (2.47oz.) excluding battery and charging cable
• Magnetic suction charging port in the neck, one included 18650 rechargeable Li-ion battery
• Tailored magnetic charging cable also available in portable Micro USB devices
• One-switch for fast and convenient operation
• Lock-out function avoids accidental operation
• Intelligent over-heat protection to avoid high temperature of the surface
• Low-voltage warning reminds when charging or battery replacement is needed
• Reverse polarity protection, to protect from improper battery installation
• Digitally regulated output maintains constant brightness
• Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
• Premium type Ⅲ hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
• Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating

The hard (type III) anodizing is a matt black and consistent throughout with no chips or flaws on its surface. All labels are sharp and clear in white against the black background. But labels are not as very bright white, but that helps to make them less obtrusive. The typical diamond-shape knurling is present over the battery tube, and knurling band on the tailcap. The light has no tail switch. Fit and finish looks very good.

The light has 2 parts (i.e. head, battery tube with tailcap). It seems there's loctite on the threads between the tube and tailcap).

The light has a flat head. There's no cooling fin for heat dissipation on the head. Each small area of the side switch and charging port is slightly protruded. This provide grip and anti-roll feature. The switch cover looks a metal button. It is protruded from the head surface. This means the risk of accidental activation may be increased. Even though wearing thin leather gloves or thick skiing gloves, I had no trouble with that switch. The switch has a good feel to touch and has average travel, which produces a clicking sound when pressed. The light has physical reverse polarity protection to protect from improper battery installation (so only button-top 18650 will just work fine).

The distinctive aspects of the light is a magnetic charging port for 18650. The charging port is on the opposite side of the side switch and waterproof. The bundled charging cable directly attaches to the external head contacts through magnetic connection. You can see two metal circular contacts, and there is a raised transparent plastic divider separating the inner and outer magnetic contacts.

The light uses AR coating lens where the purplish blue hue is reflected on it. The reflector has a smooth pattern. It is well polished with no noticeable finishing flaws, and well-centered XM-L2 U2 LED sits at the bottom of the reflector cup.

The clip-on pocket clip is basic, but seems to hold on fairly well for this type of clip. The clip is head-facing, and not reversible. The wall thickness of the body is 2.0mm. The light feel solid.

The body and tailcap are mostly covered in aggressive knurling. The grip is very good, thanks to other elements (side switch, magnetic charging port, and pocket clip.

The screw threads are square-cut of good quality. Threads are well machined, and anodized which allows the light to be locked-out when the head is slightly loosened. As supplied, threads are not lubricated, but screw threads action is smooth with no cross-threading or squeaking on my sample.

There is a negative spring on the inside of the battery tube. You will see two tiny holes on the tail side for lanyard (or split ring) attachment. There is knurling band on the tail. The RC11 can tailstand.
User Interface

There are three modes (i.e., general mode, strobe mode, and lockout mode).
On-off and output switching are controlled by the electronic side switch.

1) General mode
Pressing and holding (0.5 sec) the side switch will turn the light on, and another pressing and holding (0.5 sec) turns it off.
When on, change output modes by clicking the switch. Mode sequence is Eco-> Low -> Med. -> High -> Turbo, in repeating sequence. The light has mode memory, and remembers the last output level used when you turn the light off and back on.

2) Strobe mode
The “hidden” Strobe is accessed from either "on" or "off" by pressing and holding the switch for longer than it takes to turn the light on or off. It takes more than 1 sec of sustained press to activate the Strobe. This means you will pass through the previously memorized "on" mode if activating from "off", or pass through "off" if activating from "on", en route to Strobe.

3) Lockout mode
If you click the side switch quickly twice in 0.5 sec from "off", the light will flash twice at Med. output and the light shuts itself off to confirm the lockout. This is electronically lockout mode. The same sequence from "off" is required to unlock the light.

Note that if you click or press and hold the side switch in lockout mode, the light will flash twice at Med. output to remind you locked state.

The charging device came with the RC11 is a 45cm charging cable with magnetic connector (together with micro USB plug) and standard USB plug. You can connect the charging cable to the USB port of your PC directly (or to your electric outlet by using a AC/DV USB adaptor). The adaptor was not supplied from Fenix, so I use my Galaxy S4 USB adaptor (output DC5.0V, 2A).

There are two metal contacts (i.e., spring loaded tiny inner contact point and outer contact). Also you can see the black plastic divider separating the inner and outer magnetic contacts. You will see the LED charging indicator on the opposite side of the magnetic contacts.

I could measure only 7.7mV open voltage at the head charging contacts with a 18650 cell installed in the light, and again there is a protruded plastic divider separating the contacts for preventing from shorting the cell in the light. So there will be no risk of shorting out the battery in the light, in my opinion.
When plugging the charging cable into the computer USB port, I could measure an open voltage (4.29V) at the magnetic contacts of the cable. There is a black plastic divider separating the inner and outer contacts on the charging cable end, but it's not protruded from both contacts to prevent from shorting out the USB port of your computer (or your electric outlet). The charging cable end has a certain magnetic pull and this attract a nearby piece of metal. I found that both inner and outer contact of the charging cable have magnetic pulling force. So it may be possible for magnetic contacts to accidentally attract tiny metal pieces and to short USB port of the computer (or electric outlet). If you want to avoid this potential short-out, you should first connect the bundled charging cable to the head charging port, before plugging the USB end into your computer (or electric outlet).

[Edit 17.06.16] So far I thought so. But I doubted why the open voltage at the magnetic contacts of the cable was under 5V. I assumed there is an electronic protection function at the USB port of the charging cable. I asked Fenix, and they confirmed there is an electronic protection function at the USB port of the charging cable.
So there's no risk of shorting either the battery or USB port of your computer (or electric outlet) in any case. [Edit 17.06.16]

Note the charging solution is to be used only with 1x18650 cell. You don't need to either turn the light on or off in order to enter charging (i.e., do just connect the charging cable to the magnetic charging port on the head when either on or off, and connect the charging cable to your computer USB port or electric outlet). It seems the light uses CC/CV charging concept. Again, you can charge only button-top 18650 Li-ion battery, but (R)CR123A's are forbidden.

A LED charging indicator shows you two charging status. It will blink once every 1.2 sec under normal charging condition. If there is problem during the charging process (i.e., in case battery installed incorrectly or tailcap not screwed), the indicator turns solid green. When charging is complete, the indicator will show solid green as well. So fast flickering could be better in case of letting users know charging problem, in my view.
The user manual estimates it will take about 4 hours to full charge the depleted cells.
Charging in the light

I did charging test with an protected 18650 (2600mAh) in the light, using the USB adaptor (output DC5.0V, 2A). The voltage before, under and after charging are as follow :

I used the Xtar USB Detector "VI01" to measure charging current and input voltage.

The resting voltage of the 18650 was 3.26V. As shown in the above table, the initial charging and input voltage were respectively 0.78A~0.84A and 5.35V. Max. charging current was around 1A.
After 3hrs, the current was down to 0.23A~0.24A. After 3hrs 53mins, charging was completed and the LED indicator went solid green. The resting voltage of the 18650 was 4.17V at this point. It is reasonable and good for fully charged voltage.

Note that the charging current is still 0.01A when the LED indicator is green. Even if I remove the battery from the light, it is still 0.01A. So this small current seems to be a standby current to check whether the cell is fully charged or not (i.e., to check the battery condition), in my view.

I left the charged 18650 cell in the light to see if the light does charge it continuously once fully charged. After about 15hrs, the resting voltage of 18650 was 4.15V. This means the light will not charge the cell after full charge.

Fenix confirmed that if the voltage of the cell drops to 3.9V, the light does resume charging the cell in the light. You can use the light at Med. output only when charging, but it cause extended charging time or less fully charged cell.
Standby Current Drain

Due to the electronic switch design, the RC11 is drawing a small current when the battery is installed and the tailcap fully connected. I could measure a persistent current of 52.1μA, jumping to 1.087mA during first few seconds. Considering a 18650 (2600mAh), that would translate into around 5 years before they would be fully depleted.

The light does have an electronic lockout mode. I measured almost the same current (52.1μA) after jumping to about 1mA or more during first few seconds, due to two flashes at Med. output. This is not a concern but a reasonably good result. Note that you can easily break this current by slightly unscrewing the head or battery tube.

From left to right, Keeppower 18650 (3400mAh) protected, Manker U11 (XP-L HD V5), Nitecore MH20GT (XP-L HI V3), Fenix RC11 (XM-L2 U2), Olight S30R II (XM-L2 U3), Eagletac D25LC2 (XM-L U2).

From left to right, Manker U11 (XP-L HD V5), Nitecore MH20GT (XP-L HI V3), Fenix RC11 (XM-L2 U2), Olight S30R II (XM-L2 U3).
Measured Dimensions

The light comes with a basic nylon holster with a velcro strap on the head. The light fits in the holster either head-up or head-down with clip attached.

It is good size with small diameter to hold and use. It can be used as a good EDC. The entire light's compact design makes it feel comfortable when held in hand. The light feel solid. Overall build quality is excellent.
PWM

The light shows no sign of PWM at all output levels. I notice there is no buzzing sound at any levels.
Runtime

The runtime to fall to 10% of its initial output from 30 seconds after the point the light is first turned on (i.e., based on ANSI FL-1) for Turbo is as above graph.
The RC11 shows a clear step-down pattern over time, as the cell drain. The first step-down from Turbo to High happens after 5 mins runtime. This is a timed drop-down considering the battery depletion to avoid overheating the light. Note that you can reactivate Turbo output by simply pressing the switch again, after it has stepped down to High.
As with the other Fenix lights, the regulation pattern and runtime efficiency of the current controlled circuit seems excellent.
As expected, the higher capacity cell gives you extended runtime and better efficiency in output during regulation.

The above runtime labelled as "Accumulated Turbo" is an accumulated runtime for Turbo output (i.e., the light steps down from Turbo to High after about 5 mins, and can go back to Turbo by clicking the switch).

When the battery is low, the light steps down to lower output automatically. This automatic defined step downs over time feature is a good idea, in my view. Some fully regulated lights abruptly shut off without warning, once the battery protection circuit is tripped. This may leave you stumbling in the dark. I prefer this kind of fully-regulated step-down design.

Note that the light blinks three times every 5 mins on Low, in case the 18650 cell power is low.

The RC11 shows excellent output-runtime efficiency.
Beamshot
1. White door beamshot (about 50cm from the white door) on max. output on 1x18650 (2600mAh) VicLite protected cell
- ISO125, F/8.0, 1/25sec, Auto white balance

- ISO125, F/8.0, 1/100sec, Auto white balance

- ISO125, F/8.0, 1/800sec, Auto white balance
[

- ISO125, F/8.0, 1/2000sec, Auto white balance

The light has a middle sized bright hot spot. A soft corona surrounding the hotspot is very slightly greenish yellow. The spill beam width is wider than others. Beam pattern is good, free from any artifact. The overall beam profile is good, and the overall beam tint is a typical cool tint.
2. 7.0m Indoor Beamshot on max. output on 1x18650 (2600mAh) VicLite protected cell
- ISO125, F/2.8, 1/10sec, Auto white balance

The spill beam width looks almost the same as the S30R II at this distance.
3. 85m Outdoor Beamshot on max. output on 1x18650 (2600mAh) VicLite protected cell
- ISO125, F/2.8, 1sec, Auto white balance

The RC11 is not a thrower, but a resonable throw with wide spill for the class, given the size of the head and reflector.
Overall Impressions

• Build quality is excellent
• The light can tailstand
• Anti-roll indentations on the head and body tube
• No risk of accidental activation thanks to electronic and physical lockout feature
• Small standby current drain (52.1uA) is inevitable, but not a concern
• Physical reverse polarity protection function
• Only button-top 18650 cells will work
• Mode memory for all output levels except Strobe
• Charging a Li-ion 18650 in the light seems fast and safe
[Edit 17.06.16] No potential risk of shorting your USB port of PC (or electric outlet) [Edit 17.06.16]
• Waterproof magnetic charging port on the head
• You can use 1x18650 or 2xCR123A in the light
• Automatic defined step-down feature over time
• Excellent output-runtime efficiency
• True Moonlight mode is not available
• Low battery warning indication function
• No sign of PWM flickers at any output modes
• Beam pattern is good
• Overall beam tint is cool white

The Fenix RC11 provided by Gooutdoor.com for review.

[Исправлено: candle lamp, 17.06.2016 в 14:10] Причина: [Edit 17.06.16]
candle lamp вне форума   Ответить с цитированием Вверх
combat_rabbit (12.06.2016), KKaTOS (06.09.2019), mishoid71 (30.04.2017), MonsieuR (10.12.2016), rpdoctor (13.08.2017), vspk (18.02.2017), Светлячок (29.10.2016)
Ответ  Создать новую тему
Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Поиск в этой теме:

Расширенный поиск

Copyright ©2007 - 2024, FONAREVKA.RU