Светодиодные фонари и световые приборы. Всё о светотехнике.
Изображения Дневники Группы Поиск
Вернуться   Форум FONAREVKA.RU Обзоры фонарей Flashlight Reviews
Расширенный поиск
Забыли пароль? Регистрация

• О нашем проекте
  • Светотехника и световые приборы
  • Правила форума
Проект FONAREVKA.RU специализируется на предоставлении всей необходимой информации по светотехнике:

— светодиодные фонари;
— различные источники питания;
— разнообразные зарядные устройства;
— освещение помещений и наружное освещение;
— световые приборы для личного, пассажирского и грузового транспорта;
— специальные световые приборы для медицины, для растений, для аквариумов, для террариумов, а также аварийно-сигнальные световые приборы;
— альтернативные источники света;
— лазеры и лазерная техника.

Если у вас есть вопросы по выбору фонарей, аккумуляторов и зарядных устройств ознакомьтесь с FAQ от наших экспертов:

F.A.Q. по выбору фонарей различных типов;
F.A.Q. по выбору аккумуляторов;
F.A.Q. по выбору зарядных устройств.
Ответ  Создать новую тему
Просмотров в теме 3914   Ответов в теме 1   Подписчиков на тему 1   Добавили в закладки 0
Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Старый 04.11.2012, 05:18 Автор темы   1
Увлеченный

Последняя активность: 23.08.2013 16:00

Talking Calling Mr. Bond - APEX 5T6 (5 x XM-L T6 | 1-4 x 18650) Review

Mr. Bond, I'm forever impressed by the ubertech gadgets and high-powered (& even higher-dollar) automobiles at your disposal. If I were to create a wishlist of said gadgets/autos, they'd easily fill a small tome. In spite of this, since I first started following your exploits in “The Spy Who Loved Me”, I’ve yet to witness you wield a hi-powered torch. I suppose this is because Q isn't a flashaholic, but fortunately for you, I am.

The name is BB, turboBB... :cool: I'm pleased to make your acquaintance, James (if I may).

I happen to be testing a torch I purchased a while back that might be of interest to you on a future mission:

What?, my lab is a bit dark? Yes, it's by necessity due to the type of testing I carry out. Here, let me get the lights:

What you see (and not necessarily For Your Eyes Only) is an APEX 5T6; the latter part of the name means it has five CREE X-ML LED's in T6 output bin but I suppose that's lost on you so never mind that. All you need to know is that it's welding-glasses piercing bright! However, before you go running off with it trying to blind every villain in sight, there are a few details you should know...

MFG SPECS
MSRP: $78 USD

Dimensions:150MM(L)*70MM(Head)*50MM (Body)
Weight: 500 gram
Material: 6061-T6 Aluminum; Grey color
Emitter: 5 x CREE T6 1A / 5x T6 3C Neutral White
Current: 8.5A on High ; 3.5A on Mid ; 850mA on Low
Lumens: 2800~3000 lumens
Powered by 4× 18650 (not included)
Modes : High>Mid>Lo With Memory
Switch: Tail cap click switch
With stailess Steel handbar (Removable)

PACKAGING / CONTENTS
The box it comes in fittingly has a flame-engulfed skull since that’s the likely fate of baddies who may be unfortunate enough to cross your path:

There is a lanyard that can help secure the torch when necessary. There is also a spare o-ring included but given the condition of what (few) items you've managed to return to HQ, I suppose maintenance and care aren't exactly your forte so never mind that too...

DESIGN / FEATURES
James, this torch will be quite unlike any you’ve previously experienced. For starters, the head features a raw aluminum crenellated bezel:

...which I’m sure would suit you just fine in the event you need it for strike purposes; not that I advocate violence mind you; however, I do suppose you employ it as effectively as a diplomat uses choice words to persuade others on a different point of view (but I digress).

The crenellations also allow you to easily see if you've left the 5T6 on when placed bezel down:

The lens isn't AR coated but rest assured there are still plenty of lumens that are getting out of it:

Let me move that lamp out of the way so you can can see those five XM-L emitters without glare. Notice how each is perfectly centered in its own mini reflector? This is critical for LED torches w/smooth reflectors as if it's off, it can create a weird beam profile or artifacts.

There are ample cooling fins to help the torch shed heat but in my testing, it hasn't really gotten all that hot:

This should be good for those exotic tropical locales you frequent.

There are four flat sides to the torch of which two feature laser engraving:

Coincidentally, this particular sample even features your agent number:

There are a total of five hex bolts at the end of the torch of which two are used to secure the handle:

The other three really serve no purpose beyond adding weight and acting as stands to offset the other two so as to allow a stable foundation when you set the torch down for use in candlelight mode (which I'm certain you'll find creative uses for no doubt).

While the SS handle is removable you might find it quite useful (besides, it's the only means to attach the lanyard).

The switch is at the end of the light and is a mechanical reverse-clicky, which means the button must be depressed and then released before it'll turn on (I know you hate following instructions James, but I've prepped a UI section for you on the proper usage of this torch).

While the 5T6 runs on batteries, they aren't the typical off-the-shelf variety that you can simply waltz into your local Tesco and drop a few quid on. The 5T6 requires 18650-sized Lithium-Ion cells and runs optimally on four of them but can still light up on a single cell in a pinch:

Here's an example of the latest one I was recently sent for testing.

You install the batteries by removing the head and as there is this flat surface for the positive battery contact, you will need to use button-top cells (just be sure to insert them all positive-side up please). There is a spring for each battery within the tube that will help apply upward pressure so they make proper contact w/the base of the head:

Yes, I know, Q would've likely installed a miniature generator capable of supplying infinite power for itself and a power port for all your other gadgets, but need I remind you that he isn’t a flashaholic? :rolleyes:

UI
Operation is pretty straightforward in that there are three levels depending on how you like your villans; Well done, Medium, Rare; and always in that order. When you fully depress the switch and let go James, it'll always turn on in the mode that was last memorized. So if last you used the torch you were vaporizing a villian, it'd come on in Well Done. To change output levels, with the torch on, you just lightly depress the switch half-way (so that the torch goes off) and then let go and it should cycle to the next level. The level is also memorized through battery changes. Yes James, I know Q could've made it respond to voice commands but need I remind you that he isn't a flashaholic? :rolleyes:

FIT & FINISH
Again, given how you treat agency-issued goods, I think you'll have absolutely no interest with what I'm about to tell you. I feel that you should still pay attention as it's important to understand the limitaton of any device you operate especially given the mission criticality for some. This is not to mention the transparency M would like into what she might be paying for. :whistle:

The 5T6 is built rather solidly if not spectacularly. It should certainly stand up to the "TLC" you lavish upon your equipment and opponents alike. The anodized finish is done in grey although I'm uncertain if it's Type II or III. Regardless, it is applied evenly with none missing between crevices or sharp edges:

Using the flash on a camera is the easiest way to expose any potential mismatching that might not be caught by the naked eye under regular lighting:

As you can see it's perfectly matched. However, do me a favor will you James? If I lend this to you, promise the next time you meet up Jaws (you guys have been friends since Moonraker right?), might you trouble him to chomp on a corner and I should be able to determine the finish based on the marks left.

Just tell him not to bite on the laser engravings, they are nice and sharp w/no blotchiness and I'd prefer to keep it that way:

The bezel at the tip threads on flush w/no discernable gaps:

All in all, a very solidly put together torch but if I were to levy any criticisms at it, it'd be that the threads aren't square-cut so due care should be excercised when threading the head on/off
so as not to strip them. It should be kept well-greased as I did get a bit of grinding especially in the state it was received since there was minimal applied.

The edges of the SS handle could've been better chamfered so as not to dig into the hands when gripped. Despite its relative thiness, it should however be able to stand up to all but the most demanding activity you can throw at it.

Last but not least, there is roughly 3-4mm of play before the rubber tailcap cover touches the switch:

It gives it a slightly mushy feel before the switch is engaged (however once engaged, the switch does have a nice solid tactile click to it). This is more a personal preference so I'm not sure you'd feel the same James... James, are you listening?

BEAMSHOTS
Indoors (5m)

High

Med

Low

For details of the above indoor shots and comparo vs. many other lights, please check Epic Indoor Shots Trilogy

Whitewall Hunting
Exposure settings in sequential reading-order from top left: 1/25, 1/100, 1/800, 1/1600 @ f2.9 on AWB (light is ~.4m to wall / camera ~.59m):

Outdoors
500ft (152.4m) beach shots

For details of the above outdoor shot and comparo vs. many other lights, please check
this thread.

Below is a video comparo featuring the APEX 5T6 @ 13:20. As mentioned in the video, please ignore all my comments re: over-compensation, apparently that only happened on the LCD and was not actaully recorded in the video so there was no artificial increase in output caused by any video exposure compensation:

Прямая ссылка на видео YouTube

INITIAL CONCLUSION
James, taking all things into consideration, I'd feel comfortable if this torch should ever find itself accompanying you on a future assignment. It's not the most compact by any means but it should serve quite ably for specific missions where you absolutely need to have light and lots of it. I mean, it would've completely obliterated that pathetic amount of light you shot out from the flare gun from what mission was that... ah yes, From Russia with Love.

I realize Nobody Does it Better when it comes to doing what you do and while it doesn't necessarily have to be this particular torch, for Her Majesty's Secret Service's sake James, please get yourself a proper torch (and don't ask Q for suggestions lest I need remind you yet again :dedhorse: that he isn't a flashaholic! :rolleyes: )
turboBB вне форума   Ответить с цитированием Вверх
Apchxi (04.11.2012), Bobay (28.01.2013), Leon (04.11.2012), Magvay (11.02.2013), nurlanchm (04.11.2012), WallE (04.11.2012)
Старый 04.11.2012, 12:05   2
WallE

Последняя активность: 09.03.2022 10:25

По умолчанию Re: Calling Mr. Bond - APEX 5T6 (5 x XM-L T6 | 1-4 x 18650) Review

Cool pictures, thanks.
WallE вне форума   Ответить с цитированием Вверх
Ответ  Создать новую тему

Copyright ©2007 - 2024, FONAREVKA.RU