Светодиодные фонари и световые приборы. Всё о светотехнике.
Вернуться   Форум FONAREVKA.RU Обзоры фонарей Flashlight Reviews
Расширенный поиск
Забыли пароль? Регистрация

• О нашем проекте
  • Светотехника и световые приборы
  • Правила форума
Проект FONAREVKA.RU специализируется на предоставлении всей необходимой информации по светотехнике:

— светодиодные фонари;
— различные источники питания;
— разнообразные зарядные устройства;
— освещение помещений и наружное освещение;
— световые приборы для личного, пассажирского и грузового транспорта;
— специальные световые приборы для медицины, для растений, для аквариумов, для террариумов, а также аварийно-сигнальные световые приборы;
— альтернативные источники света;
— лазеры и лазерная техника.

Если у вас есть вопросы по выбору фонарей, аккумуляторов и зарядных устройств ознакомьтесь с FAQ от наших экспертов:

F.A.Q. по выбору фонарей различных типов;
F.A.Q. по выбору аккумуляторов;
F.A.Q. по выбору зарядных устройств.
Ответ  Создать новую тему
Просмотров в теме 2366   Ответов в теме 1   Подписчиков на тему 0   Добавили в закладки 0
Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Старый 18.02.2016, 02:44 Автор темы   1
Увлеченный

Последняя активность: 18.02.2016 02:43

По умолчанию Review: Streamlight Waypoint Rechargeable (built-in battery)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author's Statement for Transparency and Disclosure
The test sample/s featured in this article have been provided for technical testing and review by the manufacturer. Test samples are retained by the reviewer following publication of the completed review for the purposes of long term testing and product comparisons.

All output figures and test results published in this review are the sole work of the reviewer, and are carried out independently and without bias. Test results are reported as found, with no embellishments or alteration. Though best endeavours are made to maintain the accuracy of test equipment, the accuracy of these results is not guaranteed and is subject to the test equipment functioning correctly.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few years ago I reviewed an earlier incarnation of the Waypoint, but with this updated version, output is boosted by four times and it is now powered by a built in rechargeable li-ion battery. The ergonomic pistol-grip design certainly lives up to its name.

Taking a more detailed look:

The Waypoint arrives in a cardboard box.

Flipping the lid open, this is how the contents are presented.

In the box you get the Waypoint with wrist strap , a wall mount, mains charger with selection of plug adapters and the instructions.

The plastic wall holder has three screw holes for mounting to a suitable surface.

With an open bottom, the wall holder can be positioned such that if the Waypoint is turned on it will shine wherever you directed it. You can also see the Velcro like retaining strap to keep the Waypoint firmly in place. If you mounted it in a vehicle, this would stop it coming out of the holder on bumpy roads.

On the back of the Waypoint is a mode selection lever with three positions for High, Medium and Low indicated with a full circle, half circle and quarter circle symbols.

The main switch is a ‘trigger’ style forward clicky in keeping with the pistol grip.

Looking from behind, notice the cushioned rubber grip, covered charging port, charge indicator light, mode switch and folded hanging loop.

And here with the hanging loop open and the charging port cover removed.

The charging port cover locks into place to stop it falling out.

To remove the port cover, twist it 90 degrees to unlock.

Then pull the cover off to give access to the DC socket.

As well as the hanging loop, the Waypoint has a built in stand fitted to the top.

This flips open with click stops to allow you to leave it at any angle.

Once placed onto the stand, you can aim the waypoint and use it hands free.

A large reflector is surrounded by rubber armour.

Though specified by Streamlight as a C4 LED it is an XM-L2 LED.

The beam

Please be careful not to judge tint based on images you see on a computer screen. Unless properly calibrated, the screen itself will change the perceived tint.
The indoor beamshot is intended to give an idea of the beam shape/quality rather than tint. All beamshots are taken using daylight white balance. The woodwork (stairs and skirting) are painted Farrow & Ball "Off-White", and the walls are a light sandy colour called 'String' again by Farrow & Ball. I don't actually have a 'white wall' in the house to use for this, and the wife won't have one!

Starting indoors, as per its name, the Waypoint has a very focussed beam and shows a very strong hotspot, but still a reasonably useful spill.

Going outdoors to allow the Waypoint to flex its muscles more it very throw biased beam has washed out the centre of the photograph.

To really show the Waypoint at its best you need more distance, and here I’ve moved to a golf range. (The Waypoint itself is lit up as I’m wearing a headlamp set to a low level intended to show the model I’m testing)

Looking at the hotspot area a bit closer you can see the four distance markers at 100, 150, 200 and 250 yards.

You definitely can ‘point the way’ with the Waypoint!

Modes and User Interface:

The Waypoint gives you a very simple and intuitive interface. On the back of the Waypoint is a mode selection lever with three positions for High, Medium and Low indicated with a full circle, half circle and quarter circle symbols. The desired output mode is simply pre-selected, or changed during use.

The main switch is a ‘trigger’ style forward clicky in keeping with the pistol grip. The switch allows momentary use or constant on use.

Batteries and output:

The runs on a built in unspecified li-ion battery pack.

On the supplied charger, Streamlight have helpfully labelled what it is for (I wish more manufacturers did).

During charging the indicator light is red.

Once fully charged the indicator turns green.

To measure actual output, I built an integrating sphere. See here for more detail. The sensor registers visible light only (so Infra-Red and Ultra-Violet will not be measured).

Please note, all quoted lumen figures are from a DIY integrating sphere, and according to ANSI standards. Although every effort is made to give as accurate a result as possible, they should be taken as an estimate only. The results can be used to compare outputs in this review and others I have published.

___________________________________________ ________________________________ ________________________________
Streamlight WAYPOINT Rechargeable I.S. measured ANSI output Lumens PWM frequency or Strobe frequency (Hz)
___________________________________________ ________________________________ ________________________________
High 1096 0
Medium 560 100
Low 36 156

* Beacon and Strobe output measurements are only estimates as the brief flashes make it difficult to capture the actual output value.

Peak Beam intensity measured 132000lx @1m giving a beam range of 727m.

It is not possible to confirm if there is any parasitic drain.

Output is not regulated and declines steadily over the entire runtime. Though a lower overall performance than a regulated output light, the Waypoint will not suddenly cut out leaving you in the dark.

Troubleshooting

This section is included to mention any minor niggles I come across during testing, in case the information helps anyone else.

No issues were encountered during testing.

As per the description of this section, this information is provided in case anyone else finds a similar 'issue' that might be fixed in the same way.

The Waypoint Rechargeable in use

The first thing I’d like to mention is how I would classify this light. With so many different usage scenarios for which we have a wide range of choices, I’d put the Waypoint into the ‘Static Equipment’ class.

What I mean by this is that I’d see it as part of the standard equipment of a lookout point, search and rescue vehicle, on a boat, or any other instance where you are not personally carrying your equipment. Instead you have a kit of various items organised and mounted for quick access.

I would never EDC the Waypoint, with its fixed battery and bulky form it does not lend itself to a walk in the woods or camping.

Having put it in its place, when you are reaching for a light to scan the landscape and point out areas of interest, the Waypoint is ideal. Its pistol grip lends itself to pointing the beam naturally as you are looking around.

There is a soft start and stop of the beam as you use the trigger to switch it on and off. This prevents you from rapidly flashing the output. You can still signal with it, but not as fast as with other lights. The trigger switch itself feels a bit spongy and needs a long pull to reach the click that latches the output. This is not a problem, merely an observation.

On the two lower output levels, the PWM frequency gets my PWM sensitivity squirming. The PWM used is low at 100Hz and 156Hz and is obvious with any movement. Thankfully you will generally only want to use maximum output.

My own preference is for the Yellow version on test, the Waypoint comes in a black version as well, but when I’m grabbing a light I don’t want it hiding in low light. It has another advantage that its pistol shape will never be mistaken for anything but the tool that it is.

When I can justify having it to hand, the Waypoint rechargeable is a pleasure to use. For road vehicles and boats (combined with a 12V adapter) it is an ideal choice and worth considering when kitting yourself out.

Review Summary

_______________________________________________ _______________________________________________
Things I like What doesn't work so well for me
_______________________________________________ _______________________________________________
Intuitive, ergonomic design Relatively bulky
Powerful throw with 727m beam range Built in battery limiting extended use
Rechargeable – so nothing extra needed Output is not regulated
Rubber armoured Visible PWM on Medium and Low
Built-in adjustable stand
Comfortable wrist strap
Wall mount

If you enjoyed my reviews, please remember to 'Like' me on Facebook and follow me on Twitter @Subwoofer_CPF
to get all the latest updates and news.

You can also find exclusive insights on Instagram and Pinterest

subwoofer вне форума   Ответить с цитированием Вверх
Admin (18.02.2016), Kelevratony (18.02.2016), vorsmann (18.02.2016)
Старый 18.02.2016, 09:17   2
vorsmann
Ветеринар Фонаревки

Последняя активность: 16.04.2024 17:57

По умолчанию Re: Review: Streamlight Waypoint Rechargeable (built-in battery)

Реальный обзор. Real review.
Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Поиск в этой теме:

Расширенный поиск

Copyright ©2007 - 2024, FONAREVKA.RU