Светодиодные фонари и световые приборы. Всё о светотехнике.
Вернуться   Форум FONAREVKA.RU Обзоры фонарей Flashlight Reviews
Расширенный поиск
Забыли пароль? Регистрация

• О нашем проекте
  • Светотехника и световые приборы
  • Правила форума
Проект FONAREVKA.RU специализируется на предоставлении всей необходимой информации по светотехнике:

— светодиодные фонари;
— различные источники питания;
— разнообразные зарядные устройства;
— освещение помещений и наружное освещение;
— световые приборы для личного, пассажирского и грузового транспорта;
— специальные световые приборы для медицины, для растений, для аквариумов, для террариумов, а также аварийно-сигнальные световые приборы;
— альтернативные источники света;
— лазеры и лазерная техника.

Если у вас есть вопросы по выбору фонарей, аккумуляторов и зарядных устройств ознакомьтесь с FAQ от наших экспертов:

F.A.Q. по выбору фонарей различных типов;
F.A.Q. по выбору аккумуляторов;
F.A.Q. по выбору зарядных устройств.
Ответ  Создать новую тему
Просмотров в теме 3420   Ответов в теме 0   Подписчиков на тему 0   Добавили в закладки 0
Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Старый 06.02.2011, 06:07 Автор темы   1
Увлеченный

Последняя активность: 10.11.2015 10:40

По умолчанию High-Output (MC-E/P7/SST) Round-Up Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, & more!

REVIEWER'S NOTE: This is my first High-Output/Multi-emitter Round-up Review, similar to my 1xAA , 2xAA and 1xCR123A/RCR Round-up Review threads. Note that most of the pics are taken from different reviews done up at different times, so exposure settings, relative scales, etc. may differ.

For a discussion of the relative performance of various CR123A batteries, please see my comparison thread: CR123A Comparison Review

UPDATE APRIL 27, 2010: Olight SR90 (SST-90) and Titanium Innovations L35 HID added to the review.

Warning: this post is *very* pic and text heavy!

The contenders:

From left to right: Duracell AA battery, AW 18650 protected battery, ITP A6, ThruNite Catapult, Olight M30, JetBeam M1X, EagleTac M2XC4, JetBeam M1X (base configuration, no extenders).

From left to right: AW 18650 protected battery, Neofab Legion II, EagleTac M2C4, JetBeam M1X, Tiablo ACE-G (base configuration, no extenders).

From left to right: AW 18650 protected battery, ThruNite Catapult, Tiablo ACE-G, Lumapower MVP, JetBeam M1X (with extenders).

(note the pic below is on a slightly smaller scale)

From left to right, AW 18650 protected battery, Olight M30 Triton, JetBeam M1X, Tiablo ACE-G, Lumapower MVP TurboForce P7 (with extenders).

From left to right: ThruNite Catapult, Lumapower MVP P7 TurboForce, Olight SR90, Mag 3-D cell incan, Titanium Innovations L35 HID

Output/Throw Summary Chart

Scroll down for an explanation of the testing methodology used to generate the table above.

Size and weights (without batteries):
  • EagleTac M2C4: 351.7g. Height: 163mm, Width: 61mm (bezel), 25mm (body tube min width).
  • Eagletac M2XC4: 395.8g. Height: 160mm, Width: 49mm (tailcap max width), 25mm (body tube min width), 61mm (bezel)
  • ITP A6 Polestar: 209.9g. Length 174mm, Width (bezel) 48.0mm, Width (tailcap) 37.8mm
  • JetBeam M1X: 275.8g (no extender), 295.8g (with battery extender). Height: 204mm (239mm with battery extender), Width: 25.9mm (tailcap), 22.3mm (body tube), 62.7mm (bezel)
  • Lumapower MVP 3xCree: 329g (no extender), 385g (with extender). Height: 170mm, 238mm (with extender), Width: 58mm max (bezel)
  • Lumapower MVP TurboForce P7: 405g (no extender), 459g (with extender), Height: 200mm, 265mm (with extender), Width: 71mm max (bezel)
  • Neofab Legion II: 352.6g. Length 181mm, Width (bezel) 53.2mm, Width (tailcap) 45.9mm
  • Olight M20: 164.0g (no extender), 180.8g (with battery extender). Height: 178mm (212mm with battery extender), Width: 33.0mm (tailcap), 25.1mm (body tube), 42.9mm (bezel)
  • SR90: Weight: 1.6 kg (estimated), Length 335mm x Width 97mm (bezel)
  • Tiablo ACE-G: 259.8g (no extender), 292.3g (one battery extender). Height: 175mm (243mm with one battery extender), Width: 31.0mm (tailcap), 25.3mm (body tube), 56.8mm (bezel)
  • ThruNite Catapult: 339.3g (no extender), 410.5g (with extender). Length: 185mm (no extender) 250mm (with extender), Width (bezel) 59.0mm, Width (tailcap) 34.4mm

Beamshots:

UP-CLOSE BEAMSHOTS:

Since the closest comparator for the SR90 is a HID, below is close-up show showing a comparison between the SR90 on Hi and my Titanium Innovations L35. Distance is about 0.5 meters from a white wall.

This is only to show the differing beam profiles – note for example that the L35 HID has a much wider field of illumination than the SR90 (or any other LED), and has an off-white warm color temperature (4200K).

To compare to the 2x18650 multi-emitter class, I have taken some shots of the SR90 on Lo. Distance is about 0.5 meters from a white wall. All other lights are on Max on 2x18650 AW protected Li-ion.

1/25sec

1/100sec

1/1600sec

NEAR BEAMSHOTS:

Distance is about 5 meters from an unfinished and unpainted wall. Low exposure (1/100sec, f3,5) with camera zoomed in to better show you the hotspots.

INTERMEDIATE BEAMSHOTS:

Distance is about 10 meters from the "gremlin" target. Camera is zoomed in and focused on target to better show you the hotspots (1/5sec exposure, f2.7). Click on the images to bring up higher resolution photos.

OUTDOOR BEAMSHOTS:

To better compare the throw and spill of the lights, here are some outdoor shots focused on a point ~ 10 meters from the lights. Again, these were taken at different times for different reviews, so they may look a little different (e.g. I planted a tree at the end of last summer ).

First, the SR90 on Hi, followed by the L35 HID and my cheapo SunForce “1M candplepower” incan (the latter or equivalent you can typically pick up at any automotive store for <$20):

Both the SR90 and L35 do an admirable job of lighting up my backyard. Again, the L35 HID has a noticeable warm tint (~4200K), and is a brighter overall. The cheapo “1M candlepower spotlight” has a warm and highly distorted beam (i.e. more tighly focused with less spill, but with a lot of artefacts and distortions).

And now to compare the SR90 on both Hi and Lo to the 2x18650 multi-emitter LED class:

And here are some lower exposures to better show you the hotspots:

LONG-DISTANCE BEAMSHOTS:

CPF user HKJ has included beamshots of several of his high-output LED and HID lights. I urge you to check out his excellent round-up comparison of these big guns[/I].

UPDATE: Some additional long-distance beamshots, to show you how the light compares to others in its class.

Please see my recent 100-yard Outdoor Beamshot review for more details (and additional lights).

Testing Method: All my output numbers are relative for my home-made light box setup, a la Quickbeam's flashlightreviews.com method. You can directly compare all my relative output values from different reviews - i.e. an output value of "10" in one graph is the same as "10" in another. All runtimes are done under a cooling fan, except for the extended run Lo/Min modes (i.e. >12 hours) which are done without cooling.

Throw values are the square-root of lux measurements taken at 5 meters from the lens, using a light meter, and then extrapolated back to estimate values for 1 meter. This is my standard way to present throw on these types of high-output lights, as the beams don't really have a chance to fully converge until typically several meters out

Since some of the other lights take a couple of minutes to settle into their regulated output state, output and throw numbers are taken after 2 mins of continuous runtime.

I can’t provide direct lightbox values for the larger lights (i.e. SR90, 1M CP spotlight and L35 HID) as they won’t fit in my milk carton lightbox. Instead, I have estimated lightbox output based on a comparison of ceiling bounce numbers to other lights where I can measure both. For runtimes, the larger lights are positioned an inch from the opening of my lightbox, and I adjust the recorded values to the estimated levels based ceiling bounce relative results. This is NOT meant to provide hyper-accurate estimates of output, but it does give you a reasonable good idea of relative performance over the runs.

Output/Throw Summary Chart

Runtime Comparison

A comment on these graphs: There is a lot more to a light's performance than its runtime. I've tried to give some context for each light's overall performance and value in the individual light discussions at the end of the review. The purpose of these graphs is to simply let you quickly compare output/runtime at a glance. Note that there can be considerable variability in output and runtime between different samples of the same light.

Lo/Med/Hi typically refer to relative output levels on multi-mode lights (in some cases, Min=Lo, Max=Hi). For continuously variable lights, I have tried to match variable output to similar values of the fixed multi-mode lights.

First, the High Output SST-90 and HID-equipped lights:

And now the 2x18650 Multi-Emitter LED lights:

Light Reviews

Eagletac M2C4 (SSC P7) and M2XC4 (3X Cree R2):
  • The M2C4 and M2XC4 use a similar build and interface, with a heavier heatsink on the M2XC4 and a deeper reflector/head on M2C4. Otherwise, they are fairly comparable in features and output levels.
  • Like Fenix, Eagletac appears to use a current-controlled low mode (i.e. no PWM) that produces very good runtime for its output level. The Lo mode is still relatively bright on both lights.
  • The lights use a battery carrier to hold the cells in a side-by-side configuration. Can run in 2x18650 or 4xCR123A/RCR.
  • Reflector designs are appropriate for the two models, depending on what pattern you like (scroll up for the comparison beamshots).
  • Light uses a rotary dial in the head to cycle through output modes. An optional forward clicky switch kit is included with the lights to control on-off (note: if installed, clickly switch will prevent tailstanding).
  • Lights have a significant stand-by current if controlled solely by the head dial. Lights can be locked-out, but you need to unscrew the head almost all the way. With the clicky switch installed, the current path is broken when off (so no need to lock out the head).
  • Overall build quality is generally high, with a very solid feel - but waterproofness can be an issue given the large number of screws and o-rings holding the various body pieces together. I recommend you check these regularly to insure they remain tight.
  • Light retails for ~$150.

ITP A6 Polestar (MC-E):
  • The A6 is ITP’s budget entry into the multi-emitter realm, in this case running on standard AA cells.
  • I believe ITP uses current-control for its low modes, since I can detect no sign of PWM. The levels are well spaced, and the Lo mode is reasonably bright if not overly low.
  • The light uses a battery carrier to hold the cells in series, in this case in 6X config only (alkaline or NiMH).
  • Reflector is identical to the Olight M30, and is designed for a broad hotspot with minimal centre-beam "donut" (throw is correspondingly also reduced).
  • Light uses a reverse clicky located near the head (i.e. traditional consumer flashlight design). Hold down the switch to cycle through output modes. Light has a memory mode, retaining the last output used.
  • Light can be locked-out at the tailcap.
  • Overall build quality is lower than the other lights here, in keeping with its budget status. Weight is also the lowest among these lights.
  • Light retails for ~$80.

Lumapower MVP (3X Cree Q5) and
MVP TurboForce (SSC P7)
:
  • The MVP was one of the first entries into the multi-emitter space, and is available in two flavors – the 3xCree MVP and SSC P7-equipped MVP TurboForce. Like the EagleTac offerings, the body/battery tubes of the two lights are identical – they differ only in their heads.
  • I don’t know if Lumapower uses current-control for its low modes, but I can’t detect any sign of PWM. The levels are reasonably well spaced.
  • The light can run on most possible battery configurations, except 4xCR123A/RCR is not supported on Hi (the batteries get too hot and may damage the circuit or malfunction themselves). 1x18650 is not regulated on Hi, and relatively low output.
  • Reflectors are customized to the two models, and both do their jobs well. The TurboForce has one of the widest reflectors I’ve seen on a P7/MC-E light (with correspondingly wide spillbeam).
  • Light uses a forward clicky on the tailcap to turn the light on/off. To switch modes, there is a mechanical "sidekick" switch located near the head. The sidekick switch works to change levels even when the light is off (i.e. it is a mechanical switch), and thus always retains the last setting used.
  • On my early review sample, the lights could not be locked-out at the tailcap.
  • Overall build quality is consistent with other lights out there, although I found the threads a little rough in some spots on my early review samples
  • Lights retail for ~$150.

Neofab Legion II (Cree MC-E):
  • The Legion II (standard edition) is the long-awaited MC-E light by custom builder Neoseikan. Note that unlike the other lights listed here, this is not a mass-produced item from a commercial vendor.
  • The Legion II is current-controlled, so no PWM flicker.
  • Output levels are reasonably well spaced for a light in this class, although the Legion II won’t go as low as some of the competition.
  • The light runs on 3x18650 only.
  • Reflector is rather unique – incredibly deep and narrow, giving you excellent throw with minimal spill (i.e. very narrow spillbeam). Thanks to the heavy texturing, the quad-die "donut" effect is minimized.
  • There is no clicky-switch - the light is controlled an innovative spring control ring near the head. Please see my review for more info.
  • Light can tailstand.
  • Overall build quality is good, but as with all custom-made lights, can be quite variable from batch-to-batch (and even sample-to-sample). Few (if any) extras are included.
  • Light retails for $179, but availability may be limited and extensive shipping delays have been known to occur. Warranty support may also be an issue.

Olight M30 Triton (Cree MC-E):
  • The M30 is one of the more compact offerings in the mutli-emitter space, designed for tactical use.
  • The M30 uses PWM for its low modes, at a noticeable 100Hz. This is likely a result of its dual-switch design, and may be an issue for you if you are susceptible to PWM flicker (I know I am).
  • The Med and Lo modes are lower than typical for this class, and output/runtime efficiency on both seem lower than I would have expected.
  • The light runs in 3xCR123A/RCR or 4xCR123A body forms (extender included), but 4xRCR is not supported. Can also run 2x18650 or 2x18500 (but not 1x18650).
  • Reflector is identical to ITP A6, and is designed for a broad hotspot with minimal centre-beam "donut" (throw is correspondingly also reduced).
  • Light uses a forward clicky at the end of the tailcap for on/off, with a secondary electronic switch located to side of the tailcap. This side switch controls mode switching, and can allow you to access strobe from off. Light remembers last mode used.
  • Light can be locked-out at the tailcap, and can tailstand.
  • Overall build quality is high, with an attractive kit of extras (including a good quality diffuser).
  • Light retails for ~$140.

Olight SR90 Intimidator (Luminus Phlatlight SST-90):
  • The SR90 is part of a new class of very high output LED lights, using the new Luminus SST-90 “Phlatlight” emitter.
  • The high power draw of the SST-90 means the SR90 requires a 6x18650 battery configuration – supplied as a replaceable integrated cell with built-in charger adapter (similar to a laptop battery pack).
  • The SR90 is a two-stage light that is current controlled at its low mode (i.e. no PWM). It also features a “hidden” 9.5Hz strobe mode.
  • The Hi mode of the SR90 is approaching lower watt HID territory. The Lo mode of the SR90 is comparable to the Hi mode of the standard multi-emitter lights shown here. Output/runtime efficiency on both modes is excellent, with perfectly flat regulation.
  • Smooth reflector is massive, providing outstanding throw for this class of emitter. Coupled with the large heatsink and battery pack, size and weight of this light is significant.
  • Light uses a front-end mount switch (i.e. traditional consumer flashlight design) with good feel. Light remembers last mode used.
  • Light can tailstand.
  • Overall build quality is extremely high,
  • Light retails for ~$415 (with CPF discounts).

JetBeam M1X (Cree MC-E):
  • The M1X is primarily a search-and-rescue type light, with one of the greatest "throws" in the multi-emitter space.
  • The M1X uses JetBeam’s standard broad-voltage "military" IBS interface (i.e. Max output and one continuously-variable mode, with option for various strobe/sos modes). PWM is high enough that I am unable to detect it.
  • Despite its outstanding throw and max output, the M1X is also capable of one of the lowest Lo levels – and is continuously-variable across the entire range.
  • The light runs in 3xCR123A/RCR or 4xCR123A/RCR body forms (extender used to be included, but I’m not sure if it still is). Can also run 2x18650 or 2x18500 (but not 1x18650).
  • Reflector is a work of art, with a two-stage structure designed to give you the best throw with the quad-die MC-E, while still maintaining good spill. There is a trade-off, however - the centre-beam "donut" effect of the quad-die is more prominent than probably any other light of this class.
  • Light uses a forward clicky at the end of the tailcap for on/off, with a head twist to switch between max output or user-defined mode. Light remembers last mode used.
  • Light can be locked-out at the tailcap, but cannot tailstand.
  • Overall build quality is very high, although number of included extras is limited.
  • Light retails for ~$140.

Tiablo ACE-G (Cree MC-E)
:
  • The ACE-G is one of the more substantial offerings in the multi-emitter space, but is limited to a single Max output mode.
  • The light runs in 2xCR123A/RCR or 4xCR123A/RCR body forms (extender included). Can also run 2x18650 or 1x18650.
  • The ACE-G reflector does probably the best job and balancing throw and spill - while minimizing the centre-beam "donut" – of any quad-die light in this roundup.
  • Light uses a forward clicky at the end of the tailcap for on/off (single-mode only)
  • Tailcap lock-out is possible, and light can tailstand.
  • Overall build quality is very high, although number of included extras is limited.
  • Light retails for ~$120.

Titanium Innovations L35 HID (35W HID):
  • Since HID lights are quite different from LEDs, please see my detailed L35 review for a discussion of this light and the technology.
  • Light retails for ~$285 (with CPF discount).

ThruNite Catapult (Luminus SST-50):
Note: a new Version 2 of the Catapult is now available, with a new interface. Check out my V2 review for more info.
  • The Catapult is the first mainsteam thrower light using the SST-50 emitter. Like the JetBeam M1X, it makes an excellent search-and-rescue light.
  • The Catapult is either current-controlled, or uses sufficiently high PWM that I am unable to detect it.
  • Levels are somewhat compressed, with Med and Lo being higher than typical for lights in this class.
  • The light runs on 2xCR123A/RCR or 1x18650 in base form, or 2x18650 with included extender. It is NOT recommended to run 2xCR123A/RCR on Hi, due to excessive current draw.
  • Reflector is also a work of art – incredibly deep, giving you excellent throw, while still maintaining reasonably good spill. Thanks the single-die SST-50, there is absolutely no "donut" to worry about with the Catapult.
  • Light uses a forward clicky at the end of the tailcap for on/off, with a soft-press to advance modes (Hi – Med – Lo – Strobe). Light has no memory mode, and always comes on at Max output
  • Light can be locked-out at the tailcap, and can tailstand.
  • Overall build quality is very high, although number of included extras is limited at present.
  • Light retails for ~$150.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Although there is too much info to easily summarize here, there are a few common questions that can be quickly addressed.

Which light has the most overall output?
This is a moving target, as newer emitters and higher output bins keep coming out. All of these lights are rather bright, and most are fairly maximally-driven on Hi. The current stand out is the SR90, with its Luminus SST-90 emitter – this light is at least twice as bright as the other LED competition. And of course, HID lights are capable of much greater output.

Among the “standard” multi-emitter crowd, I’d recommend you choose based on features instead of max output.

Which light has the greatest throw?
The SR90 has outstanding throw, thanks to its massive reflector and high output. Among the standard multi-emitter crowd, the JetBeam M1X and ThruNite Catapult both have excellent throw, thanks to their relatively deep reflectors. The EagleTac M2XC4 has very good throw for a 3xCree light.

Which light is the most floody?
Depends what you mean by "floody". The Lumapower MVP TurboForce, ITP A6 and EagleTac M2C4 all have fairly wide spillbeams, so up-close can illuminate a good wide area. And of course, the SR90 has a very wide beam as well, thanks to its large reflector. A good diffuser could help any light become more floody (the Olight M30 comes with one included, optional ones are available for the EagleTac lights). Alternatively, the Neofab Legion has the narrowest spill beam, which means it is good for illuminating objects at intermediate distances (i.e. more light is directed into the distance). Check out the beamshots above to help with this.

Which light has the lowest Lo mode?
The JetBeam M1X stands out as having the lowest Lo level. The Olight M30 and ITP A6 both have reasonably good Lo modes, with the Lumapower lights just a little brighter. Beyond that, most of the other lights are fairly bright on their lowest settings.

Which light is the most efficient?
The answer to this question depends on what specific output level you are interested in, and on what battery type (i.e. there is no universal answer). In general terms, "current-controlled" lights with pre-defined output levels (like the EagleTac offerings) are typically more efficient than PWM-based lights at those specific levels. However, PWM-based lights (like the JetBeam M1X) are typically capable of producing much lower output levels, which in turn translates into longer runtimes. You'll have to check out the runtime graphs to determine for yourself.

One standout is the SR90 – thanks to the high efficiency SST-90 emitter, the Lo mode (which is comparable to the Hi mode for the standard multi-emitter crowd) is particularly efficient.

Which light is the best built?
I'm not touching that one with a ten foot battery tube. What I can say is that all the above lights are generally pretty sturdy, except for the ITP A6 which is more of a budget build. The Olight SR90, ThruNite Catapult, Lumapower MVP TurboForce and Tiablo ACE-G are probably the most "beefy", while the JetBeam M1X and Olight M30 are among the most "elegant", if that helps any.

Hope you found the detailed comparisons helpful!

P.S.: There's a lot of info above, so it's quite probable I've screwed up on the occasional detail - please don't hesitate to correct me if you spot an error or an inconsistency.
selfbuilt вне форума   Ответить с цитированием Вверх
Ответ  Создать новую тему
Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Поиск в этой теме:

Расширенный поиск

Copyright ©2007 - 2024, FONAREVKA.RU