Светодиодные фонари и световые приборы. Всё о светотехнике.
Вернуться   Форум FONAREVKA.RU Лаборатория Разработка и модификация фонарей Custom Flashlight Builders and Modders
Расширенный поиск
Забыли пароль? Регистрация

• О нашем проекте
  • Светотехника и световые приборы
  • Правила форума
Проект FONAREVKA.RU специализируется на предоставлении всей необходимой информации по светотехнике:

— светодиодные фонари;
— различные источники питания;
— разнообразные зарядные устройства;
— освещение помещений и наружное освещение;
— световые приборы для личного, пассажирского и грузового транспорта;
— специальные световые приборы для медицины, для растений, для аквариумов, для террариумов, а также аварийно-сигнальные световые приборы;
— альтернативные источники света;
— лазеры и лазерная техника.

Если у вас есть вопросы по выбору фонарей, аккумуляторов и зарядных устройств ознакомьтесь с FAQ от наших экспертов:

F.A.Q. по выбору фонарей различных типов;
F.A.Q. по выбору аккумуляторов;
F.A.Q. по выбору зарядных устройств.
Ответ  Создать новую тему
Просмотров в теме 18780   Ответов в теме 10   Подписчиков на тему 3   Добавили в закладки 0
Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Старый 03.03.2013, 02:48 Автор темы   1

Последняя активность: 19.03.2013 02:21

По умолчанию Tungsten Mule--WIP

That little block of Tungsten, which is 1" x 1" x 2 3/16", weighs 1 pound, six ounces.

Question is, what should I do with it? Make a not-pocket-friendly flashlight, or cut it into a couple of 1" squares and make two decorative paperweights?

Maybe I'll go see how good W is at conducting heat first, before deciding.

EDIT:

Not that bad:

W: Thermal conductivity 173 W/mK−
6061AL: Thermal Conductivity 167 W/m-K

OK, I decided to make a light from it.

Next question: Should I work to minimize the weight, or to maximize the weight?

Since the bar is only 2" long, I will make a mule light from the bar, i.e., no reflector. I will make my own LE, most likely with a Nichia 219 and a mini FLuPIC three level driver. Had to drop down to a CR2 battery to get the light short enough.

As a result, I'll take the diameter down to be more in tune with the diameter of the battery and LE--21mm to be precise.

I'm also going to put a labor-intensive square checkered pattern on the surface--very similar to raised square knurling.

Here are a couple renderings of the Tungsten Mule:

And now I'll turn this thread into a WIP thread. Admittedly, I haven't gotten very far on the machining of the light, but I have started.

Here's the 1" square stock in the four-jaw chuck; and, yeah, it does stick out more than I would like, but I am taking light cuts.

Tungsten seems fairly nice to machine, at least this alloy, which is 95% W and some other element. Unlike Ti, W makes small chips, not long strings, and it does not work harden. I suspect that getting a super smooth shiny surface will not be in the cards, however.

Here I've taken a good portion of the bar down to 25.4mm diameter, or 1". At this point, I remove the piece from the four-jaw chuck and place the turned down end into a collet.

Once in the collet, I can now turn down the remaining square portion of the bar.

After the entire bar had been reduced to 1" diameter, I drilled and bored the interior to 17mm, so that I could insert an expandable collet into the piece. That would allow me to access the entire length of the bar, now about 57mm, in one continuous pass.

So, the turning operation continued until the OD of the entire bar is now just slightly larger than 21mm, which will be the final diameter of the light.

Next operation will be to split the part, parting off what will be the battery tube. Then I'll drill and bore out the battery tube so that it can be placed on another expandable collet. From there I can then proceed to cutting the axial grooves and circumferential grooves that will create the squares.

A little more progress, after a lot of work and learning.

One thing any machinist should know is that it takes a while to learn how to machine a metal that one hasn't worked on before. Sure, you can read the books for speed and feed recommendations, but until you've spent some time cutting a particular metal, you really can't be 100% sure that you are going to do it right. So practice makes perfect, eventually.

Unfortunately, since I don't have any more Tungsten to play with and learn, I have to learn while trying to make a light.

And it didn't take long to realize that I really didn't know how to part off Tungsten:

That was perhaps only another try away from going drastically wrong--too much chatter, the material pulls the cutting edge into itself, and, voila, the tool broke. Thank goodness it broke, rather than having the piece climb over the tool and thoroughly ruin the piece.

So, what was the answer--adjust the tool height, slow down the RPMs, increase of decrease the feed rate? Hell if I know--I just got out a different, stronger tool bit and proceeded with a very soft touch as I fed the tool into the material. I'll have to figure out the right settings and procedure when I get some more Tungsten to play with.

In any event, this was a most welcome sight:

Head of the light on the right and the battery tube still in the four-jaw chuck.

Then I had to bore out the battery tube, close to the diameter needed for the battery, but primarily so that I can get an expandable collet in the battery tube, to allow me to machine the squares on the OD.

Boring out the battery tube--just about done.

The next few days will be spent cutting the squares in both the head and the battery tube. How do I know it will take days? Simple--it took me one and a half hours just to do the axial cuts in the head of the light--but that's only to half the eventual depth of cut. At that rate, each piece would take 6 hours for just the machining of the squares.

However, I do think that machining the circumferential grooves won't take as long--a good part of the metal will already have been removed--still, they will certainly take a while.

Go ahead and count them--27 grooves, to save you some time. That's half way to the final depth of cut.
PhotonFanatic вне форума   Ответить с цитированием Вверх
5rybolov5 (03.03.2013), Admin (03.03.2013), AVSel (11.03.2013), John Jack (03.03.2013), Linx (05.05.2013), MOHAPX (03.03.2013), poca77 (13.03.2013), Virgo_Style (03.03.2013), Светлячок (12.03.2013)
Старый 04.03.2013, 03:10 Автор темы   2
PhotonFanatic

По умолчанию Re: Tungsten Mule--WIP

Much to my surprise, Tungsten can be shiny:

That will be the head of the light. I hope to start work on the battery tube tomorrow.
Жуков (23.06.2013)
Старый 04.03.2013, 04:37   3
5rybolov5
Ветеран Фонарёвки

Последняя активность: 10.01.2022 21:56

Very glamorous surface! What material is made ​​of? Titan? The battery compartment is assumed in the same style?
5rybolov5 вне форума   Ответить с цитированием Вверх
Старый 04.03.2013, 05:01   4
alpg88
Консультант

Последняя активность: 08.04.2023 16:32

Вольфрам
alpg88 вне форума   Ответить с цитированием Вверх
Старый 04.03.2013, 05:17 Автор темы   5
PhotonFanatic

Цитата:
Посмотреть сообщение Сообщение от 5rybolov5 :
Very glamorous surface! What material is made ​​of? Titan? The battery compartment is assumed in the same style?
aplg88 kindly answered your question about the material.

Yes, the battery compartment will also have the same surface treatment.
Старый 13.03.2013, 02:57 Автор темы   6
PhotonFanatic

Now that I had a little time to devote to the Tungsten Mule, here are the photos showing the work on the battery tube.

I have already bored out the interior so that I could insert an expandable collet. Then I worked on the threads. After those were done, the squares needed to be milled into the OD of the battery tube. Here I'm cutting the circumferential grooves along the bottom of the battery tube.

Then, the 27 axial grooves needed to be milled as well. This is really time consuming, but if you want the design, then you pay the price.

Also, by taking repeated passes along the grooves, it results in a much smoother, and therefore, shinier surface.

At this stage, both pieces have been threaded and milled. The remaining work will be to bore out the battery tube for the right size for the CR2 battery and to make the mule LE.

And screwed together--it's pretty obvious where they join in this photo, but when I'm done with the tweaking, that seam will practically disappear.

One thing that delighted me today was discovering that the threads cut in this Tungsten are really nice and smooth--no roughness at all. I may not even bother to lap them, that's how smooth they are. And I attribute that to the material, not my threading.
Admin (14.03.2013), kruvas (18.03.2013), WallE (17.03.2013)
Старый 13.03.2013, 03:17   7
poca77
Флэшанутый светоголик

Последняя активность: 01.03.2016 16:39
Записей в дневнике: 1

What a job, it is really hard sometimes to cut it right. Especially being nervous about lack of material. But I'm really jealous about your machinery 'cause have to do precise elements with crappy equipment. Actually I do spend half of the time needed for a project to fine-tune the equipment itself. Somebody may say I just can't put my hands right, but you are lucky to get theese things work as they should.
Many thanks for your post, happy to see you share your knowledge!
And hell yeah, have to cope with square pieces 2 make 'em rounded at first, so much debree to wipe afterwards $)
Fenix TK35 U2, LD15, E05; Armytek Viking X, Neutron 1A XM-L T4 OP, Sunwayman V11R; Nitecore EC25, Sens AA; Convoy S3 Gold, Ikelite Diver, Kovea PA CCFL, FL33-35С v2 нефрит, Кшиштоф II, Фрэнк:http://forum.fonarevka.ru/s...
Фонарь Судного Дня: http://forum.fonarevka.ru/s...

[Исправлено: poca77, 13.03.2013 в 03:20]
poca77 вне форума   Ответить с цитированием Вверх
Старый 16.03.2013, 22:01 Автор темы   8
PhotonFanatic

I have completed the Tungsten Mule.

I installed a light engine, comprised of a Nichia 219 high CRI LED and a mini FLuPIC three-level driver.

The lead wires on the LE were covered up with a Delrin spacer:

The beam is very diffused and wide, since the LED is very close to the 2mm thick mineral glass lens:

The light weighs 3.5 ounces/99 grams; the diameter is 21mm and the length is 46mm:

The light was sold through my Spec Builds Opt-In Mailing List--it sold for $800.

Thanks for folowing this build. I hope to post more in the future.
5rybolov5 (16.03.2013), MOHAPX (16.03.2013), nokiaf (18.03.2013), poca77 (17.03.2013), WallE (17.03.2013)
Старый 17.03.2013, 15:46   9
poca77
Флэшанутый светоголик

Perfect! A floody one, will you sell any?
Старый 18.03.2013, 01:26 Автор темы   10
PhotonFanatic

I will probably make some more Tungsten lights--but I think they will be AA sized lights. I will try to minimize the weight by making them twist operated and with walls as thin as possible.
poca77 (18.03.2013)
Старый 18.03.2013, 05:12   11
poca77
Флэшанутый светоголик

Tks, just let us know `bout your progress.
And again - welcome to the greatest (at least the biggest) russian flashlight forum!
Ответ  Создать новую тему
Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Поиск в этой теме:

Расширенный поиск

Copyright ©2007 - 2024, FONAREVKA.RU