Светодиодные фонари и световые приборы. Всё о светотехнике.
Вернуться   Форум FONAREVKA.RU Обзоры фонарей Flashlight Reviews
Расширенный поиск
Забыли пароль? Регистрация

• О нашем проекте
  • Светотехника и световые приборы
  • Правила форума
Проект FONAREVKA.RU специализируется на предоставлении всей необходимой информации по светотехнике:

— светодиодные фонари;
— различные источники питания;
— разнообразные зарядные устройства;
— освещение помещений и наружное освещение;
— световые приборы для личного, пассажирского и грузового транспорта;
— специальные световые приборы для медицины, для растений, для аквариумов, для террариумов, а также аварийно-сигнальные световые приборы;
— альтернативные источники света;
— лазеры и лазерная техника.

Если у вас есть вопросы по выбору фонарей, аккумуляторов и зарядных устройств ознакомьтесь с FAQ от наших экспертов:

F.A.Q. по выбору фонарей различных типов;
F.A.Q. по выбору аккумуляторов;
F.A.Q. по выбору зарядных устройств.
Ответ  Создать новую тему
Просмотров в теме 6501   Ответов в теме 1   Подписчиков на тему 0   Добавили в закладки 0
Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Старый 29.05.2012, 11:15 Автор темы   1
Увлеченный

Последняя активность: 10.11.2015 10:40

Wink2 Olight SR95 (SST-90) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

Warning: even more pic heavy than usual!

Welcome to my review of an engineering sample of the Olight "mystery light", the new SR95:

This light may look a lot like the original member of the Search & Rescue line from Olight, the SR90. And it does share a lot of similarities (including the same emitter type, the Luminus SST-90). But there are also a significant number of differences … let's take a closer look.

Manufacturer's PRELIMINARY Specifications for the SR95: (note: these are subject to change)
  • Equipped with a premium flux bin Luminus SST-90 LED (P bin)
  • Output and Run Time: High: 2000 lumens/ 110minutes;Medium: 600 lumens/9.5 hours;Low: 120 lumens/46 hours
  • Strobe mode: 10 Hertz Strobe
  • Beam intensity in center: 129,600 candela
  • Maximum throw: 720 meters
  • A large capacity 7800mAh 7.4V rechargeable lithium battery pack guarantees long runtimes and is compatible with Olight SR90/91/92 LED flashlights.
  • Hollow structure in the head reduces weight by 30% compare to traditional sealed packet design.
  • Hollow structure also allows twice the cooling surface area than that of solid design, and the advanced design utilizes the head, as well as the reflector, to aid in heat dissipation.
  • 18mm diameter power button ensures ease of use even using thick gloves or in adverse conditions.
  • Material: Aluminum body with anti-scratching type III Hard Anodizing
  • Dimensions: Length: 325mm, Head Diameter: 90mm Body Tube Diameter: 48.4mm
  • Weight: 1230.5g
  • Color: Black
  • Charger: AC 100~220V 50~60HZ input. Recharge under constant current and voltage) 3A/8.4V
  • Reflector: High-efficiency, large diameter smooth reflector
  • Lens: Tough ultra-clear tempering glass, with anti-reflective coating
  • Striking bezel: Aluminum body with anti-scratching type III Hard Anodizing
  • Switch: Side switch
  • 2 Gold plated, metal O rings
  • Waterproof rating: IPX6
  • Impact resistance: 1.5 (meters)
  • Integrated power input socket on the tailcap, with four indicators on the tail for indicating the batteries condition
  • Included accessories: Carrying strap, AC charger, power cable for charger, user manual, warranty card
  • MSRP: $450

Note: Olight has also announced the release of a limited-edition SR95UT, which shares the same build (and price) but with the Luminus SBT-90 emitter. That light should function the same, just with less overall output – but more throw – than the SST-90 version reviewed here.

As mine was an engineering sample, I don’t know for sure what the final packaging will look like. But based on my experience of other SR-series lights, I think it is a safe bet that you will get the standard Olight presentation carrying case with metal hinges and closing flaps. Inside, you typically get the light disassembled into its main components (head and battery handle) in cut-out foam, along with a charging power cord and transformer, shoulder carrying strap, spare o-rings and manual.

From left to right: Redilast Protected 18650; Olight SR95, SR90, SR92; Thrunite TN31.

Dimensions:

Olight SR95: Weight: 1,224g (with battery pack), Length: 323mm, Width (bezel): 87mm
Olight SR90: Weight: 1.6kg (with battery pack), Length: 335mm, Width (bezel): 97mm
Olight SR92: Weight: 1,148g (with battery pack), Length: 271mm, Width (bezel): 98mm
Thrunite TN31: Weight: 725g (with 3x 18650 protected cells), Length: 203mm, Width (bezel): 79.0mm.

These weights don't tell the whole story – virtually the entire reduction in weight on the SR95 comes from the head. The new battery pack handle is on slightly lighter than the original model (i.e., SR95 battery is 511g vs 532g for the SR90/92 default battery). So that the means the SR95 head is about ~350g lighter than the SR90 head, despite being only about a centimeter narrower and shorter.

This difference in weight is noticeable, and contributes to giving the SR95 a more comfortable hand-feel (i.e., much better balanced than the SR90, which was front-heavy). It also brings the SR95 more in keeping with some of the smaller recent lights that were starting to narrow the gap to the original SR90's output and throw.

SR95 on the left, SR90 on the right:

As before, the SR-series lights use a common battery pack handle, and interchangeable heads. There have been some changes to the battery pack (more on this in a moment).

Fit and finish has always been are excellent across the SR-series line, and the SR95 is no exception. Even though my sample is an engineering sample, the glossy black anodizing was flawless – there are no chips or scratches.

Lettering is sharp and clear as always, in bright white against the dark black background. Labels have thoughtfully been kept to a minimum, consistent with the other models of the line.

The head is where the action is, of course. The bright blue on/off button is larger now, and the switch feel is a little "softer" (i.e., less force required). The switch is an electronic switch programmed to act like a reverse clicky (i.e., need to release it for the light to turn on). As such, there is a small standby current drain (see measurement later in this review)

The obvious major change to the head is the appearance of new cut-outs that let you see the heatsink assembly below. Olight appears to have been able to drastically reduce the heatsinking mass, while increasing the output of the light (compared to the original SR90). Scroll down to my runtimes to see temperature, output and runtime comparisons.

The other obvious difference is the reflector assembly, which is slightly smaller now. Scroll down to my beamshots section for pics and a discussion.

One small difference – the front-mounted gold-plated anchor ring for the shoulder strap rotates very easily on my SR95 sample. On most of the other SR-series lights I've tested, the ring was not perfectly flat. This meant it fit into the groove fairly firmly (i.e., could rotate, but was stiff). On the SR95, the ring spins freely – this can actually be rather annoying on the SR95 sample, as it never stops moving. I can easily jury-rig a little adhesive to stop that, but I don't know what the final shipping samples will be like.

SR95 on the left, SR90 on the right:

Ridge detail has increased on the handle – the checkering rectangles are now about half the size they were previously. Grip was always decent, but I find it is actually higher now. This is good, since this is not a light you would want to drop on your foot. Battery capacity has actually increased, despite a slight drop in weight (see my runtimes later in this review)

The new pack is still fully compatible with the older models. I have tested the new battery pack handle on my SR90 and SR92, and all lights work on all battery packs.

The light can tailstand.

As always, the charger attaches at the tail-end of the light (just under that rubber protective cover). The battery read-out gauge works as before (press the bottom button, and up to 4 green LEDs light up to let you know the relative charge status of the battery). Note that you need to have the light off for at least a few seconds, and not plugged into the charger, for an accurate charge reading.

The charger is unchanged from the earlier SR-series lights, and still has the same model number.

User Interface

Turn the light on/off by pressing and releasing the big blue button near the head. The electronic switch acts like a reverse clicky.

To change modes, press and hold the switch for more than 1-2 secs. The light cycles between its three output modes, in repeating order (i.e., Lo > Med > Hi). Release the switch to select the mode you want. This is a slight departure from the earlier SR-series lights, which only had two modes (basically, Med and Hi, compared to the SR95's Lo/Med/Hi).

Press and release the electronic mode switch again to turn off (actually a Standby mode).

There is a "hidden" strobe mode, accessed by double-clicking the electronic switch.

Light has mode memory, and will return to the last constant output mode you set it to after turning off-on .

Light has a "lock-out function" to prevent accidental activation. Cycle through Lo > Med > Hi three time to temporarily deactivate the on/off switch. To unlock, click the switch three times or disconnect and re-attach the battery pack.

To charge the battery pack, connect the cable from the included AC charger/transformer to the port under the rubber cover on the tailcap. There is an LED status indicator on the transformer brick – red means the battery pack is charging, green means it fully charged (or not connected).

For more information on the light, including the build and user interface, please see my video overview:

Прямая ссылка на видео YouTube

As always, videos were recorded in 720p, but YouTube typically defaults to 360p. Once the video is running, you can click on the configuration settings icon and select the higher 480p to 720p options. You can also run full-screen.

PWM/Strobe

As before, there is no sign of PWM on any level – I believe the light is current-controlled as before.

I did detect some high frequency circuit noise on the Med level, but it was not perceptible by eye (>20 kHz)

Strobe was a typical tactical strobe, 9.6Hz in my testing.

Standby Drain

Due to the electronic switch, there is always a standby drain when the battery is fully connected. I measured this as 53uA on my SR95 sample. I don't know how the battery pack is configured – if it is one 7800mAh battery, then that would translate into 16.8 years before it would be fully drained. If it is instead composed of six 1300mAh batteries in a 3s2p arrangement, then that would be 5.6 years, etc. Any way you slice it, this standby current is not a problem.

Olight's "lock-out function" presumably uses an even lower level standby drain, but measuring it isn't possible with my limited setup.

To break these currents, you need to twist the battery pack typically at least one full turn (to break the double spring contact in the head).

Beamshots:

The Luminus SST-90 emitter was well-centered at the base of a very large and deep reflector. The reflector shape has changed somewhat from the URL="http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?272521"]SR90[/URL] - the SR95 is narrower and deeper. The SR95 reflector had to be narrower, due to the smaller head. The finish is still mainly smooth, but there seems to be a very slight texturing to it now (this shows up as the slightly "fuzzy" looking pictures above). It should still provide excellent throw.

To help you compare, are some comparison pics - SR95 on the left, SR90 on the right:

And now, what you have all been waiting for. All lights are on their respective max battery sources (3xAW protected 18650 for then TN31), about ~0.75 meter from a white wall (with the camera ~1.25 meters back from the wall). Automatic white balance on the camera, to minimize tint differences.

First thing to notice is that the SR95 is putting out more light overall, but the max spillbeam width is narrower (i.e., the overall spill is brighter on the SR95, although it isn't as wide). The throw still seems at least as good if not better, with the extra output likely compensating for the slightly smaller head/reflector (scroll down for the direct throw and output measures).

Don't be concerned about the apparent distortions in the corona around the hotspot on the SR95 – that's an artifact of the ridiculously close distance to the wall.

In real life, the SR90 actually seems to have more artifacts in the corona at intermediate distances. Although you can't really see it, here are a couple of close ups of the hotspot at ~8m from the wall.

There is definitely more light in the corona of the SR95. Also, don't get hung up on the tint differences – some of that is just due to the camera's auto white balance. My SR95 is a touch on the warm side, and the SR90 was definitely on the cool side of cool white. But as always, YMMV …

Outdoor beamshots will be coming soon - just waiting for a couple more high-output lights to arrive (and a clear night with no wind).

Please check back for updates!

Testing Method:

All my output numbers are relative for my home-made light box setup, a la Quickbeam's flashlightreviews.com method. You can directly compare all my relative output values from different reviews - i.e. an output value of "10" in one graph is the same as "10" in another. All runtimes are done under a cooling fan, except for any extended run Lo/Min modes (i.e. >12 hours) which are done without cooling.

I have devised a method for converting my lightbox relative output values (ROV) to estimated Lumens. See my How to convert Selfbuilt's Lightbox values to Lumens thread for more info.

Throw/Output Summary Chart:

My summary tables are reported in a manner consistent with the ANSI FL-1 standard for flashlight testing. Please see http://www.flashlightreview... for a discussion, and a description of all the terms used in these tables.

As you can see, the SR95 has considerably more output than my earlier SR90. Note that my SR90 was from one of the first batches of this light, and relative output is likely to have increased since then. Olight currently cites 1750 lumens for the SR90, which is believable.

According to Olight, the extra output on the SR95 is due to a premium high output P-bin SST-90 used in this model.

Throw is also increased on the SR95, relative to my SR90. I suspect much of this is due to the higher output, as the actual reflector is slightly smaller. Note that my peak throw (and corresponding beam distance) measures are a little lower than the Olight specs.

Output/Runtime Comparison:

First off, here is how the SR95 compares to the SR90 – both on its new battery pack, and on the older SR90 pack - in an estmate lumen scale.

As you can see, not only has output increased on the SR95, but so has runtime.

The output increase is likely due mainly to the higher SST-90 output bin (although it may also be driven slightly harder too). The longer runtime is clearly due to increased capacity in the battery pack (i.e., compare the SR95 head on the different battery packs). I would estimate SR95 battery pack capacity has increased by up to ~20% from the earlier SR90/92 battery pack.

The SR90 maintained a perfectly flat stabilization, but my SR95 shows a slight drop-off over time. This made me wonder about heat, so I did a comparison with a thermal probe in place, as illustrated below.

The black and gray lines represent temperature, and should be read off the right-hand y-axis scale.

The SR95 maintains perfectly flat thermal regulation (around ~38oC), as the output drops slightly over time. In contrast, the SR90's surface temperature slowly rises over the course of the run, reaching a max around ~37oC. This is actually what I expected to see, given the differing regulation patterns in my lightbox.

The take-home message here is that the SR95 does NOT run that much hotter than the SR90, despite the greatly reduced mass in the head. Recall that total head mass has dropped by ~350g (i.e., a full third of the SR90's head weight).

So, in other words, with the SR95 you get greater output (due mainly to a higher flux bin), in a head that has a third less mass than the SR90, with only a nominal increase in surface temperature.

Here is how it compares to the high-output competition, using my standard relative lightbox output scale:

And finally, here it is against the really high-output lights, like the Olight X6 and the Titanium Innovations L35 HID (back in an estimated lumen output scale):

Performance is excellent for a SST-90-equipped light driven to these levels.

Note however that my runtimes for the SR95 were slightly lower than Olight's specs.

Potential Issues

Due to the electronic switch, all the SR-series lights have a stand-by current when the battery is fully connected – but it is negligible at 53uA on my sample. The "lock-out" mode is likely even lower. You can break these currents by unscrewing the battery handle by a full-turn.

While the SR95 is greatly reduced in weight from the SR90 (and is better balanced), it is still a substantial light. I recommend use of the included should strap.

Recharge time for a depleted battery was about 5 hours in my testing (i.e. from the point when the protection circuit has been tripped, to when the green light comes on the charging transformer). This is not unreasonable, given the increased storage capacity of the pack.

Do the cut-outs in the head, cleaning may be an issue.

Preliminary Observations

So, let's see if I can sum this up simply: the SR95 is smaller and lighter than the SR90, but with more output and throw, and even long-lasting battery performance. Oh, and it doesn't run any hotter either.

That is not usually the kind of opening paragraph I get to string together. All things being equal, something typically has to give (i.e. if you shrink a reflector, throw drops – if you increase the output, heat rises and runtime drops – etc.). The reason this is not the case here is that Olight has made simultaneous improvements across the board. Specifically:

• Output has increased by using a premium P flux bin (and not by over-driving, thus sparing heat and runtime)
  • Thermal management has been significantly improved allowing a reduction in size and weight, without significantly increased heat.
  • Since the weight has been reduced mainly from the head, the SR95 feels a lot better balanced now, with a more appropriate center of gravity near the switch.
  • The greater output more than compensates for the reduction in the reflector size, so overall throw is still increased (though not by as much as overall output has increased)
  • The battery pack capacity has increased by up to ~20%, with a slight reduction in weight. Significantly, the new pack is still fully compatible with the older SR90/92 heads, and even the charger remains constant.
  • The circuit has been updated with a true Lo mode now (still has Med/Hi and hidden Strobe, as before)
  • The build features a more rakish design with cut-outs showing some the head internals. Oh, and they have tossed in a bigger switch button.

These changes are a welcome update to the line. Frankly, some of the competition had been creeping into the SR90's output space – providing nearly as good output and/or throw, but in a smaller, more portable size.

Of course, what this also means is that there is basically no reason to buy a SR90 anymore – the SR95 is an improvement in just about every sense. I can only presume Olight plans to discontinue the older SR90 model.

That being said, is it worth it to you upgrade from a SR90? I am always loathe to make specific recommendations, as your needs may vary. You have to ask yourself - do I really need the extra couple of hundred lumens for a full 2000 lumen light? Or the extra 10 mins of runtime on Hi? Or the small increase in raw lux @1m? Or the extra Lo mode? Maybe yes, maybe no. Personally, the main compelling feature for me is the 20% lower overall weight and the much better balance. In my testing, it makes the SR95 far more comfortable to carry around than its predecessor.

P.S.: Olight has alsoannounced the release the SR95UT ("Ultimate Thrower"). This light shares the same build as the SR95, but with the Luminus SBT-90 emitter. That light should function the same, but with less overall output – and more throw – than the SST-90 version reviewed here.

----

SR95 provided by Olight for review.
selfbuilt вне форума   Ответить с цитированием Вверх
Старый 29.05.2012, 17:16   2
Hemi
drainer

Последняя активность: Сегодня 13:39

Отправить сообщение для Hemi с помощью Skype™
По умолчанию Re: Olight SR95 (SST-90) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

бимшоты малоинформативны (разве что боковая засветка) нужна меньшая выдержка, 3200..4000
Hemi вне форума   Ответить с цитированием Вверх
Ответ  Создать новую тему
Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Поиск в этой теме:

Расширенный поиск

Copyright ©2007 - 2024, FONAREVKA.RU