Светодиодные фонари и световые приборы. Всё о светотехнике.
Вернуться   Форум FONAREVKA.RU Обзоры фонарей Flashlight Reviews
Расширенный поиск
Забыли пароль? Регистрация

• О нашем проекте
  • Светотехника и световые приборы
  • Правила форума
Проект FONAREVKA.RU специализируется на предоставлении всей необходимой информации по светотехнике:

— светодиодные фонари;
— различные источники питания;
— разнообразные зарядные устройства;
— освещение помещений и наружное освещение;
— световые приборы для личного, пассажирского и грузового транспорта;
— специальные световые приборы для медицины, для растений, для аквариумов, для террариумов, а также аварийно-сигнальные световые приборы;
— альтернативные источники света;
— лазеры и лазерная техника.

Если у вас есть вопросы по выбору фонарей, аккумуляторов и зарядных устройств ознакомьтесь с FAQ от наших экспертов:

F.A.Q. по выбору фонарей различных типов;
F.A.Q. по выбору аккумуляторов;
F.A.Q. по выбору зарядных устройств.
Ответ  Создать новую тему
Просмотров в теме 3277   Ответов в теме 1   Подписчиков на тему 1   Добавили в закладки 0
Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Старый 24.04.2012, 20:36 Автор темы   1
Увлеченный

Последняя активность: 18.02.2016 02:43

По умолчанию ExtremeBeam Alpha-TAC XT8 with the Metal MOLLE right-angle adaptor

To some the ExtremeBeam Alpha-TAC XT8 will need no introduction, but to others it may be greeted with suspicion and dismissed as ‘another one of those copies’.
Let me start with a picture or two….

Shown above are two ends of the spectrum. One is the original design made to a high standard by the owners of the design and patents, and the other is a cheap clone, poorly made and trying to succeed based on the reputation and innovation of another. A story we see repeated all too often, and in this case, the clones are so well known in the consumer market many view them as the original.

The clones however are but a poor imitation compared to the light that came first.

The confusion may be partly due to the fact that ExtremeBeam is not the original trading name this design was sold under, and previously the XT8 was sold directly to the military and police not to the consumer market. Despite the less familiar name change this is the genuine article with true ownership of the design and related patents.

Initial Impressions:

Initial impressions may be biased by the proliferation of the XT8’s clones. --- These prejudices are quickly swept aside when you pick up the XT8 and can literally feel the difference.

Simply from holding it, you can feel the aluminium body is substantially made - the XT8 feels solid and dependable.

As you first remove the tailcap the XT8 continues to impress with the precise fit, one, then two o-rings appear and the fully square-cut threads are revealed.

The XT8 has a forward clicky momentary tailcap switch perfectly suited to this type of light, and is a standard P60 host giving you great flexibility.

What is in the box:

The XT8’s packaging is a cardboard/blister pack showing the entire light and included batteries. On the reverse of the pack information on the XT8.

The XT8 and supplied holster.

Also included for review is the Metal MOLLE right-angle adaptor accessory for the XT8. Made to the same high standards as the XT8, this adaptor allows the XT8 to be converted into a right-angle light providing alternative grip options and a light that can be clipped onto standard Molle fixing points providing hands free use.

Looking inside:

The XT8 shows its pedigree further as you take a look inside.

The tailcap showing the double o-rings, fully square-cut threads and large surface area negative contact.

Looking down into the battery tube, and you can see why the XT8 feels so strong – 4mm thick tubing!

The head to battery tube joint is the same, with square threads and double o-rings.

Shown almost fully disassembled (Not pictured is the head itself opened – this also has double o-rings)

The Metal MOLLE is cut from a solid block of aluminium and has threads and seals to match the XT8

The right-angle XT8

The P60 module supplied with the XT8 is a Cree R2 with orange peel reflector.

Modes and User Interface:

When the going gets tough you want to KISS (keep it simple ……), and the XT8 as supplied does this.

A single high mode output with momentary (forward clicky) tailcap switch, is all there is to it.

Being a P60 host you can of course swap out the module and

Batteries and output:

The supplied module has input voltage ranging from 3.5-10V.

Primarily designed as a military specification light, the battery tube (with its substantial wall thickness) will only accommodate CR123 cells in diameter and length.

This photo shows the end of the second cell and its position relative to the shoulder that the tailcap screws onto.

This means that you need to use either primary cells, or the 10V max input voltage allows you to use RCR123s, but not just any…

Here you can see the most trusted brand of li-ion, AW, in comparison to primary cells. The AW protected cells are the closest I’ve found to an original CR123 in size and do fit into the XT8. Also tested are the AW IMR unprotected cells which again closely match the size of a primary.

Topping up the AW cells with Cottonpicker’s Nona-Charger.

If used in hostile environments, you will not be bothering with rechargeable cells, so stick with primaries. In less hostile environments, you may choose between unprotected cells which avoids sudden loss of output due to protection kicking in, or protected to prevent cell damage. In both cases, the AW cells are ideal as the IMR chemistry is ‘safe’ though lower capacity, and the protected cells are the only cells of this type I know of which will fit.

In The Lab

In an attempt to quantify the actual beam profile I developed the following test. There are probably many flaws in my method, but it is simple and easy to carry out and seems to provide a good enough comparison.

The method used was to put the light on the edge of a table 1m from a wall, with a tape measure on the wall. The zero of the scale is placed in the centre of the hotspot and a lux meter is then positioned at points along the scale, with the measurements recorded. Beam shots are often taken with the light shining on a flat white wall, so this method is simply measuring the actual intensity across the beam on a flat surface, not the spherical light emission.

The results are then plotted on a graph.

For the best throw you want to see a sharp peak with less of the distracting spill. For the best flood light the trace should be pretty flat.

Shown here with a generic Cree R2 P60 module running off 18650, the XT8 with two lithium primaries massively outshines it.

Taking this a little further, I calculated an approximate factor to apply to the lux measurements, as each measurement gets further from the centre of the beam, it corresponds to a larger area onto which the light is falling. It seems to me that this should also be taken into consideration, so I applied these area corrections and came up with this odd looking graph.

The key quantity here is the area under the graph line. This should correspond to the total light output.

The XT8’s profile is similar to the generic R2 module, but with much higher output.

The beam of the XT8

Remember that the XT8 is a standard P60 host, so if you don’t like the beam of the standard module, simply swap it out for one you prefer. The reason the XT8 uses this standard is to provide the owner with a light they can keep going with the most common type of spare they are likely to come across.

Shown here with a relatively normal exposure

And the exact scene underexposed to better show the hotspot shape

The supplied P60 module gives you a beam with plenty of spill but a strong hotspot to pierce the gloom.

Using the XT8

To take the words of a well known advertising campaign, ‘it does what it says on the…..’ box.

The XT8 is simple, reliable, versatile and durable. Combined with the Metal MOLLE, you have something else, which to me is even more usable.

The tail-cap switch is well designed with the rounded shoulders of the cap giving easy access to the switch. Even with gloved hands the light is easy and positive to operate.

The clip works well, with the springy steel returning to its original position even if bent out quite a lot. It does not appear to be removable as the clip looks like a press fit into the battery tube. For weapon mounting you may need to slide the clip over the mount, but this should not be a problem.

The holster provided is as well made as the XT8 and will take the light bezel down or up. There is a choice of fixed belt loop or a quick release loop fixed with a stud and Velcro combination to provide a secure fixture that is easily removed.

For me the standard light is transformed with the addition of the Metal MOLLE adaptor. The right angle head allows for a wide variety of grip positions and makes the switch easier to operate while keeping the beam pointed forwards.

The holster will also accommodate the XT8 in its right-angle form. Allowing you to have a forward facing light mounted on you belt.

The square shape of the Metal MOLLE means you can stand the light facing forward or upward on a flat surface, and provides the ultimate anti-roll feature.

Of course the Metal MOLLE is designed with a clip to fix onto the molle webbing on your load carrier. The main clip is still usable, so you can clip the XT8 whichever way up you prefer.

Unless I decide to gun mount the XT8, I’ll be keeping it in the right-angle configuration.

The XT8 is in a different class to even the best of its clones. In terms of build quality, durability and reliability, the XT8 is a true military specification light.

Sample provided for review by ExtremeBeam.

I’ll update post 2 of this thread once I have some more comments to add....

Readers Note:

It is important for me to clarify that I have not been provided with evidence to support the historical information relating to the manufacturer and design of the light that is included in this review. The information was provided to me in good faith, and included in this review in good faith.

However, the testing, measurements, photographs and reported user experience are all my own work and are reported as accurately as possible.
subwoofer вне форума   Ответить с цитированием Вверх
Старый 24.04.2012, 20:36 Автор темы   2
subwoofer
Увлеченный

Последняя активность: 18.02.2016 02:43

По умолчанию Re: ExtremeBeam Alpha-TAC XT8 with the Metal MOLLE right-angle adaptor

reserved
subwoofer вне форума   Ответить с цитированием Вверх
Ответ  Создать новую тему
Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Поиск в этой теме:

Расширенный поиск

Copyright ©2007 - 2024, FONAREVKA.RU