Светодиодные фонари и световые приборы. Всё о светотехнике.
Вернуться   Форум FONAREVKA.RU Обзоры фонарей Flashlight Reviews
Расширенный поиск
Забыли пароль? Регистрация

• О нашем проекте
  • Светотехника и световые приборы
  • Правила форума
Проект FONAREVKA.RU специализируется на предоставлении всей необходимой информации по светотехнике:

— светодиодные фонари;
— различные источники питания;
— разнообразные зарядные устройства;
— освещение помещений и наружное освещение;
— световые приборы для личного, пассажирского и грузового транспорта;
— специальные световые приборы для медицины, для растений, для аквариумов, для террариумов, а также аварийно-сигнальные световые приборы;
— альтернативные источники света;
— лазеры и лазерная техника.

Если у вас есть вопросы по выбору фонарей, аккумуляторов и зарядных устройств ознакомьтесь с FAQ от наших экспертов:

F.A.Q. по выбору фонарей различных типов;
F.A.Q. по выбору аккумуляторов;
F.A.Q. по выбору зарядных устройств.
Ответ  Создать новую тему
Просмотров в теме 5683   Ответов в теме 0   Подписчиков на тему 1   Добавили в закладки 0
Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Старый 24.04.2012, 14:42 Автор темы   1
Увлеченный

Последняя активность: 09.06.2017 16:17

Rolleye11 XTAR S1 Comparison Review - Test Version & Final Version

XTAR has officially released S1-final version. They revised S1-test version according to the reviews comments and suggestions. (I did a review on the test version.)
The S1 final version comes in a sturdy cardboard box, with built-in packing foam and closing flap.

Inside is the light, spare o-ings, instruction manual, lanyard, warranty card, and nice pouch.
Manufacturer's specifications & features :

The final version is sturdy and imposing even just at a glance.
Lst's see how much the final version has changed from the test version of S1 in detail.

Test version is on the left in the picture and final version on the right. (will be continued in the same order as above.)
They look the same on the surface.

The external features that have changed on the head are fluted ridges along the bezel ring, and the lower ring which supports a silver magnetic selector ring.
One other change is the rounded groove shape on the selector ring. Thanks to its change, I can switch back and forth one-handed with ease.

The knurling on the battery tube is less aggressive, but the overall grip is certainly reasonable.

I can't open the bezel ring on the final version, it seems to be bonded with strong adhesive. The final version has a toughened AR coating lens, while test version a toughtened lens.

The tiny groove on the positive contact plate is removed and the positive contact block is increased in length. The final version is not different in its 6 labeled modes on the head of the light (i.e. SOS - Strobe - High - Off("O") - Preset - Select, Arranged clockwise). The test version's selector ring continues to turn past all the output modes in either direction. But XTAR prevent the ring from turning to the rigion where there is no output mode, and reduce the total traverse of the ring to 1/2 circumference of the final version.

[Update - 2012.04.23] The silver positive contact plate rotates a bit smoothly as before. [Update - 2012.04.23]

The battery tube length is reduced a little. Screw threads are anodized for tailcap lockout as the test version was.

The threads toward the head are square cut, but there is a decreasing in the number of the threads from 7 to 5.

The threads toward the tailcap are anodized square cut. There is no change in the number of threads.

The thinnest part of the battery tube is 2 mm thick. The light is definitely one of the most solid lights I've seen.

The tailcaps are identical and the light can tailstand perfectly. There are 3 small holes machined into the tailcap ring for lanyard or split-ring attachment.
[Update - 2012.04.23] The three negative contacts & the base plate on the tailcap rotate much more freely than the positive contact plate on the head as before. [Update - 2012.04.23]
[Update - 2012.04.23]

The both tailcaps are fit in each battery tube well, but are not interchangeable between the test & final version.
i.e. The tailcap of the final version fit in the body of the test version and the light just works fine. But the light doesn't work when fitting the tailcap of the test version in the body of the final version. It' is because the height of the base plate on the test version is less than the final version as shown above. I don't mean this is an issue in the final version. This is related to the use of the flat-top cells. [Update - 2012.04.23]

Overall build quality seems excellent.
User Interface

As before, final version is not different in its UI.
On/off and mode switching is controlled entirely by the silver magnetic selector ring in the head. You can select any mode by rotating the selector ring. The preset mode is user-defined brightness at a certain level. When rotating the "▲" symbol on the selector ring to "Select" position, the light output will begin to ramp up and down in a repeating loop, starting from the current preset output level. To select the output level you want, simply rotate the "▲" symbol on the selector ring quickly back to the "Preset" position. Once an output level is selected, that level is memorized (i.e. will always return to that level unless you start a new Select ramp). The range of the Select mode manufacturer claims is 15~2350 lumens.
Ramp
The ramp of the test version is 7 secs from min. to max. output level, totally 14 secs cycle. What this means is that the test version ramp is so quick that you can't select the output level precisely you want. The final version has much longer ramping time for selecting output level (i.e. from 15 lumens to 2350 lumens takes about 22 secs), and there is a 1.5 sec pause at 3%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 98% output level to help the precisely selecting of output level as shown below. The current revision of the ramp is very welcome and nice change according to the user's feedbacks.

But I think the adding a 1~2 secs pause only at those output levels is not a great help me to know what the current output level is. Personally, I don't see the need for 25% and 75% pauses in the ramp. I would like to suggest that XTAR make the light flicker once at 0%, and twice at 50% output, and three times at max.(100%) output to remind users the current output level by keeping 1~2 secs pause at those output levels. This will probably reduce the ramping time to 8 secs (i.e. with 14 secs between min. and max. outputs).

The flat-top 18650 cells do not work in the test version, but the button-top cells work fine. (If you attach a neodymium magnet(NdFeB) on the flat-top cells in the test version, no problem at all.) Now you can use the flat-top 18650 cells without using a magnet in the final version.

The final version is not appreciably different in its weight.

The light comes with a nice pouch instead of a holster.

I don't think a holster is a good idea for such a big size light, but with a pouch, I can either put the light in my bag without got scratched, or can carry it on my shoulder.
PWM
I can see flickering at lower output level when intentionally waving the light. But I can't see it visually in practical use. There is no sign of PWM at high mode as before. I notice that there is very little buzzing sound on the preset mode amd select mode as before.
Runtime

The runtime for 50% output of high level on 3xPanasonic unprotected 18650(3100mAh)'s for test & final version are appr. 82 & 75 mins respectively in my test. The test version provides good runtime, while it doesn't provide steady or flat regulation. However the final version does appear to be flatly regulated at high level, while provides less runtime than test version.
The upgraded final version seems to have a little more output. I stop running the lights to protect the batteries from overdischarge in 89 mins & 104 mins respectively.

The voltage of the battery at the start and end of the test is as follows :
1) Test Version
Cell-1 : 4.18V --> 2.99V
Cell-2 : 4.18V --> 2.96V
Cell-3 : 4.18V --> 3.03V

2) Final Version
Cell-1 : 4.18V --> 3.03V
Cell-2 : 4.18V --> 3.04V
Cell-3 : 4.18V --> 3.10V
Beamshot

1) Light ivory wall beamshot (about 60cm from the wall)

The beam profile of test & final version produces a small sized hotspot with a soft corona tapering into the spill beam. At a close range(i.e.~5m), the spill beam looks like a triangular petal-like pattern. But it is hardly noticeable or is not issue in real life. The beam tint on test version towards quite cool side of the color spectrum noticeably blue, but the beam tint on final version is close to neutral white perhaps leaning just slightly towards the cool side, but not by much.
[Update - 2012.04.22] Indoor beamshot is uploaded.
2) Indoor beamshot (about 7m from the target)
2-1) Test version

2-2) Final version

2-3) Test version(left) & Final version(right)

3) Outdoor beamshot (about 60~65m from the target)

4) Outdoor beamshot (about 60~65m from the target)

5) Outdoor beamshot (about 55m from the target)

6) Outdoor beamshot (far more than 130m from the target)

[Update - 2012.04.21] Peak Throw & Beam Distance

1) Test version
I measured 56,100 lux at 1m, with full charged NCR18650As, is based on 30 secs after activation which translates into an ANSI FL-1 beam distance of 473m.
2) Final version
I measured 60,600 lux at 1m, with full charged NCR18650As, is based on 30 secs after activation which translates into an ANSI FL-1 beam distance of 492m.

The final version seems to have a little more output, resulting in slightly greater throw as well. I think this is due to an improved circuit board to have better regulated output and a toughened AR coating lens.

[Исправлено: candle lamp, 24.04.2012 в 14:54]
candle lamp вне форума   Ответить с цитированием Вверх
Ответ  Создать новую тему
Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Поиск в этой теме:

Расширенный поиск

Copyright ©2007 - 2024, FONAREVKA.RU