Светодиодные фонари и световые приборы. Всё о светотехнике.
Вернуться   Форум FONAREVKA.RU Обзоры фонарей Flashlight Reviews
Расширенный поиск
Забыли пароль? Регистрация

• О нашем проекте
  • Светотехника и световые приборы
  • Правила форума
Проект FONAREVKA.RU специализируется на предоставлении всей необходимой информации по светотехнике:

— светодиодные фонари;
— различные источники питания;
— разнообразные зарядные устройства;
— освещение помещений и наружное освещение;
— световые приборы для личного, пассажирского и грузового транспорта;
— специальные световые приборы для медицины, для растений, для аквариумов, для террариумов, а также аварийно-сигнальные световые приборы;
— альтернативные источники света;
— лазеры и лазерная техника.

Если у вас есть вопросы по выбору фонарей, аккумуляторов и зарядных устройств ознакомьтесь с FAQ от наших экспертов:

F.A.Q. по выбору фонарей различных типов;
F.A.Q. по выбору аккумуляторов;
F.A.Q. по выбору зарядных устройств.
Ответ  Создать новую тему
Просмотров в теме 4924   Ответов в теме 2   Подписчиков на тему 0   Добавили в закладки 0
Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Старый 17.11.2011, 10:41 Автор темы   1
Увлеченный

Последняя активность: 10.11.2015 10:40

Wink2 Niwalker NWK750 (2x18650, XM-L) "Thrower" Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO +

Warning: pic heavy, as usual.

Note: this is an engineering sample review.

Niwalker is a new manufacturer, based in Taiwan. They claim to have several years' experience manufacturing flashlights, but this is the first model produced under their own name. As you can probably tell from the pic above, it is a hefty, high-output, thrower-style light, of the 2x18650 class.

Manufacturer's Specifications:
  • LED: CREE XM-L
  • 750 Lumens for 1.5+ hours
  • Tactical forward clicky tailcap switch (included)
  • Optional tail cap switches available for multi-mode
  • Smooth polished reflector, focused beam
  • Digitally regulated
  • Working voltage: 3V ~ 9V
  • Supports 2x CR123A, 2x 16340 (RCR), or 2x 18650
  • Length: 263mm
  • Head Diameter: 58mm
  • Body Diameter: 28mm
  • Weight: 380g (without batteries)
  • Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
  • Toughened ultra-clear glass lens
  • Military spec Hard Anodized, matt black finish
  • IPX8 Waterproof standard
  • Rugged construction and reliable electronics
  • Tailcap lockout
  • MSRP: TBD

Packaging is unknown. For testing purposes, I was sent only the bare light (with extender tube), a reasonable quality wrist lanyard, and an engineering sample of a multi-mode tailcap.

From left to right: Redilast Protected 18650; Niwalker 750; Thrunite Catapult V3; Tiablo ACE-G; Sunwayman T40CS; JetBeam BC40

All dimensions are given with no batteries installed:

Niwalker NWK750: Weight: 392.3g, Length: 264mm, Width (bezel): 59.0mm
Sunwayman T40CS: Weight: 296.7g, Length 227, Width (bezel): 63.5mm
JetBeam BC40: Weight: 226.3g, Length: 224mm, Width (bezel): 48.5mm
Thrunite Catapult V3: Weight: 434.8g, Length: 254mm, Width (bezel) 58.0mm, Width (tailcap) 35.1mm.

Overall dimensions and styling are definitely "beefy", reminiscent of the Thrunite Catapult and the older Tiablo ACE-G/A10-G lights, to some degree. The extra length of the NWK750 seems to be due in part to the deeper than typical reflector.

Build is very solid for the NWK750. While not quite as thick-walled as the Catapult, this is definitely one of the most solid lights I've seen.

Anodizing is a matt black finish, with no nicks or scratches on my sample. There is no real anodizing to speak of, although there are a series of concentric ridges to help with grip. While grip is certainly reasonable, I would prefer actual knurling.

There is a clip/lanyard attachment point on the tailcap. Light can tailstand, although may be a bit wobbly. Screw threads are anodized for tailcap lockout. Although the threads are not trapezoidal (square-cut), they seem of good quality.

Labels are fairly minimal, but clear in bright white against the dark background. The single-stage switch includes a lable of the company's website.

Light has a beveled stainless steel bezel ring.

Standard tailcap is a single-stage forward clicky switch. An engineering sample of a multi-mode tailcap was provided (reverse clicky, three-mode). Note that Niwalker would like feedback on what the levels, sequence, etc., this tailcap should include. The final shipping version will incorporate suggestions made here. Apparently, a continuously-variable tailcap is also in the works. One comment – I like the knurling on the multi-mode tailcap.

There is a spring in the head, allowing you to use the newer high-capacity flat-top 18650 cells. All my flat-top 18650 cells worked fine in the light. However, my thickest cells (4GREER protected 2400mAh) had difficulty fitting into the light (i.e. inner body tube diameter a bit too narrow for them)

User Interface

The standard switch is simplicity itself – it is a forward tailcap clicky, so press for momentary on, click and release for locked on.

The engineering sample multi-mode tailcap they sent me for evaluation used a reverse clicky, and cycled between Hi > Lo > Strobe. Niwalker is looking for feedback on the choice of modes, sequences, etc., for the final shipping version. I will comment on the current engineering sample at the end of the review.

For a more detailed examination of the build and user interface of the two switches, please see my video overview:

Прямая ссылка на видео YouTube

Video was recorded in 720p, but YouTube defaults to 360p. Once the video is running, you can click on the 360p icon in the lower right-hand corner, and select the higher 480p to 720p options, or even run full-screen.

PWM/Strobe

There is no sign of PWM on the single-stage switch, as expected. On the engineering sample of the multi-mode switch, I noticed visible PWM in the 225-250 Hz range:

Strobe was an incredibly dizzying 19 Hz on 2x18650 on the multi-mode switch – one of the highest frequencies I've seen.

I rather doubt anyone could be able to "steel themselves" against getting hit with that strobe mode (although I imagine even the operator would find it ). I'll talk, I'll talk …

Oddly, the strobe speed was slower when running on 1x18650 (a more typical 10.5 Hz).

Beamshots:

The Niwalker uses a Cool White XM-L emitter, well centered on my sample (with a white centering disc around it). Reflector is smooth finish and extremely deep – one of the deepest I've seen (likely accounting for the overall length of the NWK750). Throw is likely to be very good.

And now, what you have all been waiting for. All lights are on 2xAW protected 18650, about ~0.75 meter from a white wall (with the camera ~1.25 meters back from the wall). Automatic white balance on the camera, to minimize tint differences.

For outdoor beamshots, these were done in the style of my earlier 100-yard round-up review. Please see that thread for a discussion of the topography (i.e. the road dips in the distance, to better show you the corona in the mid-ground).

The NWK750 is an excellent thrower, but max output seems a bit low compared to the other lights examined here. If matched for overall output, I would expect the NWK750 to throw as well as the Thrunite Catapult. Scroll down for a discussion.

Spillbeam width is narrower than typical, due to the deeper than usual reflector.

Testing Method:

All my output numbers are relative for my home-made light box setup, a la Quickbeam's flashlightreviews.com method. You can directly compare all my relative output values from different reviews - i.e. an output value of "10" in one graph is the same as "10" in another. All runtimes are done under a cooling fan, except for any extended run Lo/Min modes (i.e. >12 hours) which are done without cooling.

I have recently devised a method for converting my lightbox relative output values (ROV) to estimated Lumens. See my How to convert Selfbuilt's Lighbox values to Lumens thread for more info.

Throw/Output Summary Chart:

My summary tables are reported in a manner consistent with the ANSI FL-1 standard for flashlight testing. Please see http://www.sliderule.ca/FL1... for a description of the terms used in these tables.

Max output (and corresponding throw) seem a little low on my NWK750 sample, even on the single-stage switch (i.e. ~580 estimated FL-1 lumens, compared to 750 lumen specs). I'll have more to say about this after the runtimes, but overall throw characteristics are very similar to the Thrunite Catapult (i.e. if matched for equivalent output, I believe throw would be comparable).

Output/Runtime Comparison:

Note: "Hi" on the NWK750 runtimes below refers to the Hi-mode of the multi-mode switch. The single-stage switch (which would give max output only) is labeled as such.

Let's start with 1x18650:

Performance on 1x18650 is about what I would expect, both for output and runtime. Note that most high-output lights don't support 1x18650, so this is definitely a bonus here. Output of the multi-stage Hi switch is lower than the single-stage max, but runtime does increase.

How about 2x battery sources?

There clearly seems be an efficiency issue on 2x battery sources. Although this is particularly noticeable on 2xCR123A, performance on 2x18650 and 2xRCR is also somewhat underperforming compared to comparable lights.

As a result of these findings, Niwalker asked me to verify the tailcap current draws. Shown below are comparisons on 2x18650:

Niwalker NWK750: 1.54A
Sunwayman T40CS: 1.47A
Skilhunt Defier X3: 1.27A
JetBeam BC40: 1.55A
Thrunite Catapult V2 XM-L: 1.52A
Thrunite Catapult V3 XM-L: 1.64A

As you can see, the NWK750 is drawing approximately the same initial battery current as the Thrunite Catapult, JetBeam BC40, or Sunwayman T40CS – and as a result, has equivalent runtimes.

This tells me that the problem is mainly one of lower output on the NWK750 (i.e. I am only getting ~580 lumens on this light, compared to ~750 lumens for the other lights driven this hard). I am not sure of the reason why the output is lower than expected on my NWK750 on 2x sources. Hopefully Niwalker will soon clarify/resolve the issue.

On the positive side, regulation pattern is extremely flat on all 2x Li-ion battery sources.

Potential Issues

Max output was unexpectedly ~25% lower than predicted, based on the drive currents and emitter type used. With the proper output level restored, I would expect very similar output, throw, and runtime to the Thrunite Catapult V3.

Multi-mode tailcap is still in the development stage, and final shipping version is not known. Niwalker is seeking input from members on the design, and I have made some personal recommendations below. Feel free to jump in with your own suggestions!

Spillbeam width is narrower (but brighter) than most lights in this class, due to the very deep reflector.

Light rolls easily, as there are no indentations to serve as anti-roll stops.

The light lacks knurling as such, although the various build elements do help with grip.

Requested feedback on the engineering sample multi-mode switch

From my perspective, I found the timings were a bit loose on the engineering sample multi-mode switch – you need to wait a couple of seconds before you can turn the light off (otherwise, clicking too quickly will advance you to the next mode). There was also some inconsistent activation (i.e. wouldn't always register a click).

There was no memory mode, with the light always coming on in Hi (I would prefer memory). Mode sequence was unusual at Hi > Lo > Strobe.

Output was lower on Hi than the single-stage switch, and there was visible PWM on both the Lo and Hi levels. I recommend Max output on Hi (with no PWM), and undetectable PWM on Lo.

Strobe was incredibly fast on 2x18650, yet oddly more typical on 1x18650.

Looking forward to the continuously-variable switch (currently in development, according to Niwalker)

Preliminary Observations

Just to be clear up-front: the NWK750 reviewed here is an engineering sample, specifically sent to solicit feedback for the final shipping versions. As an aside, I commend Niwalker on this approach – if more manufacturers field-tested their models with reviewers ahead of time, we would have a lot fewer buggy initial launches, methinks.

Let's start with the physical build of the NWK750 – it is remarkably robust. Honestly, the Thrunite Catapult is the only light I can think of that has an even thicker aluminum body (and not by much). I have no doubt the NWK750 can survive whatever physical abuse you are likely to throw at it. FYI, CPFer run4jc has recently performed a series of (highly creative) torture tests on the NWK750, which you can read about and view in his torture test thread here.

The standard single-stage tailcap worked well in my testing. Niwalker is apparently experimenting with various tailcap control interfaces, and sent a sample multi-mode tailcap for evaluation. I have made my comments on this tailcap above, but Niwalker would like to hear from the members here on what they would like to see. Final multi-mode tailcap design will reflect this feedback, so don't be shy.

The idea of swappable tailcap designs for different types of output control is interesting, and I am curious to see what else Niwalker comes up with (apparently a continuously-variable tailcap is also in development). I recall Tiablo doing something similar with the A10-G, but that was some time ago.

Throw is excellent on the NWK750, as expected for such a larger reflector. It is difficult to compare to other "throwy" lights in this class, as overall output on Max was somewhat lower than expected (see discussion above). If Niwalker can resolve this circuit/emitter issue and restore true 750 lumen max output, I have no doubt this light will throw and perform as well as the Thrunite Catapult.

I will be happy to update this review with a final shipping sample, if Niwalker wants to provide one when ready. I imagine the circuit output issue should be fairly straight-forward to resolve. Certainly no qualms about the physical design - it is certainly a very substantial build.

P.S.: I notice that Niwalker has confirmed in run4jc's thread that they used to design and manufacture for Tiablo. So it looks like my speculation above and in my YouTube video wasn't too far off ...

----

NWK750 provided by Niwalker for review.
selfbuilt вне форума   Ответить с цитированием Вверх
Зулус (29.01.2012), Сергей Сергеевич (29.01.2012)
Старый 29.01.2012, 11:54 Автор темы   2
selfbuilt
Увлеченный

Последняя активность: 10.11.2015 10:40

По умолчанию Re: Niwalker NWK750 (2x18650, XM-L) "Thrower" Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO +

selfbuilt вне форума   Ответить с цитированием Вверх
Старый 29.01.2012, 16:19   3
Зулус
Завсегдатай Фонарёвки

Последняя активность: 18.06.2023 19:30

По умолчанию Re: Niwalker NWK750 (2x18650, XM-L) "Thrower" Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO +

Цитата:
Посмотреть сообщение Сообщение от selfbuilt :
this is an engineering sample review.
Интересно когда их начнут продавать и за сколько..
Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Поиск в этой теме:

Расширенный поиск

Copyright ©2007 - 2024, FONAREVKA.RU