Светодиодные фонари и световые приборы. Всё о светотехнике.
Вернуться   Форум FONAREVKA.RU Обзоры фонарей Flashlight Reviews
Расширенный поиск
Забыли пароль? Регистрация

• О нашем проекте
  • Светотехника и световые приборы
  • Правила форума
Проект FONAREVKA.RU специализируется на предоставлении всей необходимой информации по светотехнике:

— светодиодные фонари;
— различные источники питания;
— разнообразные зарядные устройства;
— освещение помещений и наружное освещение;
— световые приборы для личного, пассажирского и грузового транспорта;
— специальные световые приборы для медицины, для растений, для аквариумов, для террариумов, а также аварийно-сигнальные световые приборы;
— альтернативные источники света;
— лазеры и лазерная техника.

Если у вас есть вопросы по выбору фонарей, аккумуляторов и зарядных устройств ознакомьтесь с FAQ от наших экспертов:

F.A.Q. по выбору фонарей различных типов;
F.A.Q. по выбору аккумуляторов;
F.A.Q. по выбору зарядных устройств.
Ответ  Создать новую тему
Просмотров в теме 1994   Ответов в теме 0   Подписчиков на тему 0   Добавили в закладки 0
Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Старый 21.04.2015, 11:26 Автор темы   1
Увлеченный

Последняя активность: 18.02.2016 02:43

По умолчанию 'SHOT SHOW Special' Review: Streamlight ProTac HL3 rubber grip (3xCR123)

'SHOT SHOW Specials' are a series of reviews inspired by, or as a consequence of, my visit to the SHOT SHOW 2015.
These may contain photos taken while travelling, and may be of a slightly different format.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author's Statement for Transparency and Disclosure
The test sample/s featured in this article have been provided for technical testing and review by the manufacturer. Test samples are retained by the reviewer following publication of the completed review for the purposes of long term testing and product comparisons.

All output figures and test results published in this review are the sole work of the reviewer, and are carried out independently and without bias. Test results are reported as found, with no embellishments or alteration. Though best endeavours are made to maintain the accuracy of test equipment, the accuracy of these results is not guaranteed and is subject to the test equipment functioning correctly.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Streamlight have entered the compact 1000+ lumens market with the ProTac HL3, which also featuring their TEN-TAP Programming, to allow you choose which modes are available. With this SHOT Show sample you can see the forthcoming rubber grip, making the HL3 more comfortable to hold, especially in colder climates and better grip.

Taking a more detailed look:

This ProTac HL3 is wearing its new rubber overcoat.

The moulding in the rubber is crisp.

With one side having the model, and the other having Streamlight's logo and the TEN-TAP Programming legend.

The HL3 next to the three CR123s that power it.

Here are the contacts inside the tailcap.

The threads are fully anodised and cleanly cut truncated standard threads.

A good sized and deep reflector give the HL3's beam its power.

With an XM-L2 LED

Semi-recessed, the soft rubber switch boot features the Streamlight logo.

For an idea of size, here is the HL3 amongst a batch of lights on test.

From left to right these are: Olight S10R, Olight S15R, Olight S30R, FOURSEVENS Bolt-Action, FOURSEVENS Preon P2, FOURSEVENS MMU-X3R, Streamlight ProTac HL3, MAG-LITE XL200, NITECORE TM06, Lumintop ED20-T, V54 DC25Cvn and the Streamlight Siege AA.

The beam

The good-sized deep reflector of the ProTac HL3 provides a well-focussed beam, though this narrows the spill.

Please be careful not to judge tint based on images you see on a computer screen. Unless properly calibrated, the screen itself will change the perceived tint.
The indoor beamshot is intended to give an idea of the beam shape/quality rather than tint. All beamshots are taken using daylight white balance. The woodwork (stairs and skirting) are painted Farrow & Ball "Off-White", and the walls are a light sandy colour called 'String' again by Farrow & Ball. I don't actually have a 'white wall' in the house to use for this, and the wife won't have one!

Taking a known comparison, first we can see the Fenix TK41.

At exactly the same exposure the HL3 proves itself to be very capable.

Modes and User Interface:

Keeping things simple, the HL3 has a total of three modes available, High, Low and Strobe.

With a forward-click switch the HL3 has momentary operation. There is no memory.

TEN-TAP programming allows the user to pre-select the mode set that is available. These are:

High-Strobe-Low (Factory Default)
High Only
Low-High

To choose the mode set, from OFF, tap the switch rapidly 9 times (within 0.4 seconds per tap) and hold it down the 10th time. Continue holding the switch until the light turns off (after approximately 1 second), then release the switch.

Whatever the first mode of the chosen mode set is what the HL3 will always first come on with. To use the next mode, you need to use a rapid multi-tap on the switch.

For example with the default mode set, one tap gives High, a rapid double tap gives Strobe, and a rapid triple tap gives Low.

Personally I prefer the HL3 with the Low-High mode set.

Batteries and output:

The ProTac HL3 takes 3 x CR123. No alternatives are specificed.

To measure actual output, I built an integrating sphere. See here for more detail. The sensor registers visible light only (so Infra-Red and Ultra-Violet will not be measured).

Please note, all quoted lumen figures are from a DIY integrating sphere, and according to ANSI standards. Although every effort is made to give as accurate a result as possible, they should be taken as an estimate only. The results can be used to compare outputs in this review and others I have published.

Streamlight ProTac HL3 I.S. measured | ANSI output Lumens | PWM frequency or Strobe frequency (Hz)

______________High_______________________1140_________________________0
______________Low________________________39_________________________285
_____________Strobe______________________616_________________________11.9

Peak beam intensity/beam range measures at – 37100lux – 385m

After the initial drop from the maximum output at switch on, the HL3 then gradually reduces output from the 1140 ANSI output down to 650 lumens over a period of 7 minutes. There is then a 29 minute regulated output phase, maintaining the 650 lumens, until the CR123s start to weaken. Output then trails off approaching ANSI cut-off at around 1 hour and 4 minutes.

Troubleshooting

This is a new section I am adding to mention any minor niggles I came across during testing, in case the information helps anyone else.

Nothing to report so far.

As per the description of this section, this information is provided in case anyone else finds a similar 'issue' that might be fixed in the same way.

The HL3 in use

Stepping up from the most common 2 x CR123 to 3 x CR123 gives the HL3 extra punch. The additional length combined with the rubber sleeved battery tube provides a more substantial feel to this light while still remaining relatively compact.

I may have a particular sensitivity of PWM, and I do notice PWM effects using the Low mode.

Being able to easily choose the set of available modes using the TEN-TAP programming makes a big difference to usability. As mentioned earlier I have the HL3 set on Low-High, but also use High only from time to time.

Streamlight's ProTac HL3 also uses one of my favourite interfaces for mode selection. No memory means you always know what it will start on. Requiring rapid taps to change modes means that you have to positively try to change mode, rather than having instances where you accidentally change mode when turning the light on and off a few times.

Review Summary

Things I like

TEN-TAP Programming
1140 lumen maximum output
Excellent 'rapid tap' mode selection
Good power and throw
Comfortable rubber grip

What doesn't work so well

PWM noticeable in low
Limited number of output modes
Only runs on 3 x CR123

If you enjoyed the review, please remember to 'Like' me on Facebook