Светодиодные фонари и световые приборы. Всё о светотехнике.
Вернуться   Форум FONAREVKA.RU Обзоры фонарей Flashlight Reviews
Расширенный поиск
Забыли пароль? Регистрация

• О нашем проекте
  • Светотехника и световые приборы
  • Правила форума
Проект FONAREVKA.RU специализируется на предоставлении всей необходимой информации по светотехнике:

— светодиодные фонари;
— различные источники питания;
— разнообразные зарядные устройства;
— освещение помещений и наружное освещение;
— световые приборы для личного, пассажирского и грузового транспорта;
— специальные световые приборы для медицины, для растений, для аквариумов, для террариумов, а также аварийно-сигнальные световые приборы;
— альтернативные источники света;
— лазеры и лазерная техника.

Если у вас есть вопросы по выбору фонарей, аккумуляторов и зарядных устройств ознакомьтесь с FAQ от наших экспертов:

F.A.Q. по выбору фонарей различных типов;
F.A.Q. по выбору аккумуляторов;
F.A.Q. по выбору зарядных устройств.
Ответ  Создать новую тему
Просмотров в теме 1986   Ответов в теме 0   Подписчиков на тему 0   Добавили в закладки 0
Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Старый 15.05.2015, 20:47 Автор темы   1
Увлеченный

Последняя активность: 09.06.2017 16:17

По умолчанию Fenix SD10 Diving light (XM-L2 T6 Neutral White, 1x18650 or 2xCR123A) Review

The SD10 is the first diving light produced by Fenix. I think this light will be the first member of the SD series. It is high-output light using XM-L2 T6 neutral white emitter, and runs on 1x18650 or 2xCR123A. It features thermal regulation to avoid overheating. The light use the wave of the body (i.e., motion control) or tailcap twist to change output levels.

Packaging includes yellow rubber band (attached), paracord-style wrist lanyard, extra o-rings, manual and warranty card, along with the light.
Manufacturer Specifications from Fenix website and manual :

• Cree XM-L2 (T6) LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
• Uses one 18650 rechargeable battery (Li-ion) or two 3V CR123A batteries (Lithium)
• Output mode / Runtime:
- High : 930 lumens / 1h 30min
- Mid : 385 lumens / 4h
- Low : 110 lumens / 14h
• Dimensions and Weight:
- Length : 5.67" / 144mm
- Diameter : 1.02" / 26mm
- Head Diameter : 1.57" / 40mm
- Weight : 5.64oz / 160g (excluding batteries)
• Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
• Reverse polarity protection, to protect from improper battery installation
• Over heat protection to avoid high-temperature of the surface
• Low-voltage warning function to remind users of low power
• Locked twist switch to prevent possible flooding by over turning
• Motion control or twist switch for output selection
• Enlarged lanyard hole for quick attachment
• Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
• Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
• Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating

Anodizing is a matte black finish, hard anodized (type III), and seems thick. There is a bundled orange color band on the head. Most of the battery tube and tailcap have the raised checkered pattern to help with grip.

The light has mainly 2 parts. The battery tube is one piece with the tailcap.

The orange color band is made of rubber. It would not make a lot of sense, but seems to help with grip or for visual effect. There is a spring on the contact board in the head, so flat-top batteries can be used. The light has reverse polarity protection to protect from improper battery installation (i.e., the electronics of the SD10 has in-built reverse polarity protection.)

The bundled rubber band is removable.

The light uses AR coating lens, and the purple hue is reflected on it. The aluminum reflector has a smooth pattern. Surface finish on the reflector was perfect from visual inspection. The well-centered XM-L T6 emitter sits at the bottom of the reflector cup.

The checkered pattern matches well with the body.

The build of the SD10 is surprisingly robust. It's the most solid light I've seen in the 1x18650 classes, and built like a tank. The battery tube is dual structure. The overall construction seems thicker and more solid than other lights in this size. The wall thickness of the battery tube is very thick (3mm). You will see the spring in the tailcap. Note that the use of 2x16340 (nominal voltage 3.7V Li-ion) cells is banned. You can use 1x18650 or 2xCR123A.

Screw threads are high quality square-cut, and there are a greater number than usual. Threads are anodized at the head region of the battery tube and in the head for lock-out. Screw threads of the tube mate very well with the head with no issues of cross-threading or grinding. The light has two o-rings for waterproofness. There is a proper amount of lube on the threads on my sample.

There are a large and wide hole for wrist lanyard attachments at tail end. Interesting that the light can tailstand stably thanks to the wide area of the tail end on the flat surface. A unique feature to the SD10 is the tailcap twist switch. You can turn on/off and control output levels by a twisting of the tailcap, or are able to change outputs by a waving the light. There is a small lock-bolt on the upper tail to prevent from overturning the tailcap (i.e., it prevent water inflow into the light).
User Interface

The SD10 is built around a twist and motion control interface.

Turn the light on/off by the tailcap twist. Fully tighten the tailcap for on, loosen it for off.
There is no strobe or SOS on the SD10.

1. Twist interface
Fully tighten the tailcap and it comes on in its memorized last output. Do a rapid twist off-on within one second and the light advances to next level. Output sequence is High -> Med. -> Low, in repeating sequence. Note that you should grip the battery tube (i.e., not head) to twist the tailcap for mode changing under water.

You can control output levels by a loosen/tighten of the head while on. But, you have to use this way on the ground.

2. Motion control interface
While on, wave the light once (frex, up and down), and each wave of the light will change the output level. Output sequence is High -> Med. -> Low, in repeating sequence. There is mode memory, and the light retains the last output level when you turn it off on.

From left to right, VicLite 18650(2600mAh) protected, Fenix SD10 (XM-L2 T6), Olight M22 (XM-L2 T6), Rayus PT10S (XM-L2 U2), Armytek Viking v2.5 (XM-L2 U2), Rofis TR31C (XM-L U2).

From left to right, Fenix SD10, Olight M22, Rayus PT10S, Armytek Viking v2.5. The head size & body weight excluding battery of four lights are as follows :
SD10 : 40.5mm/158g, M22 : 41.0mm/148g, PT10S : 40.4mm/163g, Viking v2.5 : 39.4mm/160,TR31C : 39.7mm/180g
Measured Dimensions & Weight

It is a much little light to hold than I expected. The gripability is good. The build feels very solid. The overall build quality is very high.
PWM

The light shows no sign of PWM at any output modes. The light is actually current-controlled. I notice there is no buzzing sound on my sample.
Performance test under water

According to the manual, the SD10 is guaranteed to be submersible (IPX- to a depth of up to 100 m. I neither have underwater pressure simulation test instrument nor know suitable way to test the diving lights. I'm not a diver. (Frankly, I can't swim. :mecry I just checked the light works fine for operation and mode changing under water on the immersion test in my bathroom sink. There was no sign of water entry on my immersion test. However, there is a great feedback under water from the actual dive instructor (saftydiver at CPF). According to his feedback, the SD10 worked fine at different depths of 30~110ft. So this can be sufficiently substitute for a performance test under water. Thanks a lot for your great feedback. saftydiver! :thumbsup:
Runtime

1. Fan cooling

The SD10 has a built-in thermal sensor which is a nice safety feature for the heavily driven light.
There is, however, no thermal step-down on High on 1x18650, due to fan cooling during testing. Instead, fan-cooling runtime shows a slowly drop in output, and there is a clear step-down pattern over time as the battery drain or near exhaustion (i.e., you will not be stranded in the dark without warning).
When the battery power is low at current output level, the PT10S will automatically enter into Low output level. The light has a low-voltage warning function. When the battery is nearly exhausted, the light starts to flicker 3 times every 5 mins on Low mode. This is a useful signal to tell you it's time to recharge Li-ion cell before over-depleting unprotected cell.

It seems a doubtless fact that the high powered light driven hard at max. output may cause some CR123A batteries to eventually overheat and trigger their PTC (Positive Thermal Coefficient) protection devices. You can see strange runtime pattern on High on the Panasonic CR123A. The light shows that after 5 mins step-down and a few mins recovery phase. The light dropped-off rapidly to 30% output, only to then fall out of regulation, started to recover output gradually. I think this runtime pattern is due to the PTC device kicking-in response to the temperature in the cells. (You can see the similar runtime pattern as Rayus PT10S.)
This phenomenon isn't the issue of the light. This regulation behavior seems to be related to mostly heating up of multi cells, PTC devices, brand name, and different version of the same brand. So I recommend you don't run on High output for extended periods on CR123A battery source in the light.

On Med. level, the light maintains perfectly flat regulation for an extended period, before dropping down to Low output on 1x18650 or 2xCR123A.
2. No cooling

This is a comparison with and without fan cooling to compare how the light activate. The lack of cooling caused a more initial drop in output, but it's practically impossible for you to see the difference visually. After the first and second "output stepping-down" without cooling applied, the light tends to not only recover but also continue brighter output than with cooling applied. So this resulted in shorter runtime, in my view. If you use the light under water, you will get the red line pattern.
3. Surface Temperature
1) Checking point

I measured with thermal probes attached to one point of the light for no fan cooling run. The room temp. was 25~26 degrees C, and window was opened a little in the test room. The resting temp. for the light before run was 29 degrees C. You can see the point on the light where the thermal probe was set in place as shown above.
2) Measured surface temperature

Note that left y-axis is the relative output. The brown line represents surface temperatures of the light in degrees centigrade (celsius) should be read off the right y-axis.
The light gradually step-down and stabilize at the Med. output level to abate, and gradually step back to High a couple of times. This oscillations are continued on the High runtime.
The light steps down from High to Med. detecting the temperature (i.e., not a timed step-down, but automatically adjust the output of current brightness to avoid overheating). It also shows distinct step-down at the stage of battery depletion.
4. Output-runtime comparison on 1x18650 with continuous fan cooling

The max. output on 1x18650 is higher than other lights in this class. It seems the SD10 shows good efficiency and regulation on 1x18650. Note that like other highly-driven lights, the quality of cells is important (i.e., poor quality or heavily used 18650 cells may not be able to provide a sustained current at max. output level for intial runtime).
Beamshot

1. White door beamshot (about 50cm from the white door) on max. output on 1x18650 (2600mAh) VicLite protected cell
- ISO100, F/3.5, 1/400sec, Auto white balance

- ISO100, F/3.5, 1/800sec, Auto white balance

- ISO100, F/3.5, 1/1250sec Auto white balance

The light has a middle sized bright hot spot. The hotspot is well focused, perfectly circular with a defined edge. The spill beam is clean as well. Beam quality is good, free from any noticeable artifacts. The beam has a neutral white tint.
2. Indoor beamshot (about 7m from the target) on max. output on 1x18650 (2600mAh) VicLite protected cell
- ISO100, F/2.8, 1/4sec, Auto white balance

3. 55m Outdoor beamshot on max. output on 1x18650 (2600mAh) VicLite protected cell
- ISO100, F/2.8, 1sec, Auto white balance

4. 60~65m Outdoor beamshot on max. output on 1x18650 (2600mAh) VicLite protected cell
- ISO100, F/2.8, 1sec, Auto white balance

Throw is good for the class.

Thanks for watching!
candle lamp вне форума   Ответить с цитированием Вверх
Ответ  Создать новую тему
Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Поиск в этой теме:

Расширенный поиск

Copyright ©2007 - 2024, FONAREVKA.RU