Светодиодные фонари и световые приборы. Всё о светотехнике.
Вернуться   Форум FONAREVKA.RU Обзоры фонарей Flashlight Reviews
Расширенный поиск
Забыли пароль? Регистрация

• О нашем проекте
  • Светотехника и световые приборы
  • Правила форума
Проект FONAREVKA.RU специализируется на предоставлении всей необходимой информации по светотехнике:

— светодиодные фонари;
— различные источники питания;
— разнообразные зарядные устройства;
— освещение помещений и наружное освещение;
— световые приборы для личного, пассажирского и грузового транспорта;
— специальные световые приборы для медицины, для растений, для аквариумов, для террариумов, а также аварийно-сигнальные световые приборы;
— альтернативные источники света;
— лазеры и лазерная техника.

Если у вас есть вопросы по выбору фонарей, аккумуляторов и зарядных устройств ознакомьтесь с FAQ от наших экспертов:

F.A.Q. по выбору фонарей различных типов;
F.A.Q. по выбору аккумуляторов;
F.A.Q. по выбору зарядных устройств.
Ответ  Создать новую тему
Просмотров в теме 2836   Ответов в теме 0   Подписчиков на тему 0   Добавили в закладки 0
Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Старый 03.06.2012, 22:44 Автор темы   1
Увлеченный

Последняя активность: 21.04.2015 12:00

По умолчанию Object/Subject Review: P-Rocket Neutral XM-L (Woodland Camo, 800+ Lumens)

I recently purchased the new neutral LED, camo-colored version of the P-Rocket XM-L from shiningbeam.com.

I got this light primarily to use for biking and camping, so I'll be doing this review in two sections: first, I'll discuss the light objectively (the facts about the light itself), then I'll discuss the light subjectively (my impressions of the light's performance when used for specific applications). I took the light camping last weekend, and hopefully I'll take it for a night bike ride this week. If you have any other specific applications you'd like it tested for, let me know, and I'll see what I can do.

Objective

Here are the specs listed for the P-Rocket XM-L Neutral version:

-----
** This latest version has thicker heat sink and smaller size**
** Compact size flashlight specially designed for bikers**

* Features a premium neutral white Cree XM-L T5 emitter, 4B bin
* 810+ LED lumens on high mode
* Square threads for smooth battery installation
* Comes with tactical momentary-on switch and regular switch
* Voltage input 2.8-6V
* Compatible with 1x18650, 1x17670, and 2xCR123A
* 3 Modes: Low > Mid > High
* Current output: 140mA on low, 1000 mA on medium and 2800 mA on high
* Regulated circuit for constant current output
* Built in Voltage protection, will cut off at 2.8V
* Reverse-polarity protection prevents wrongly installed batteries from damaging the circuit
* It can tail stand
* The memory feature will memorize the last mode
* Toughened ultra clear glass lens with 98% transmission rate
* Extra thick body for good heat dissipation and excellent durability
* Orange peel reflector for smooth output beam pattern
* Comes with accessories: holster, 1 spare tactical switch, lanyard, O-rings, and G.I.T.D tailcaps

* Recommend not to run over 15 minutes continuously on high mode when using 2xCR123A
** Do not run it with 2xRCR123A rechargeable Li-ion**

Dimensions: 14 CM x 3.4 CM x 2.4 CM (5.51 in x 1.33 in x0.94 in)
Weight: 4.20 oz
-----

There are only a few differences between the Neutral and Cool White versions of the P-Rocket XM-L listed. The neutral version has a T5 4B binned LED, where the cool white version has a T6 1A, so the cool white is listed at 850+ lumens on high, where the neutral is listed at 800+ lumens on high. The only other difference I know of is that the neutral version is available in both black and camo finish, where the cool white is only available in black finish.

The light came packaged in a padded manila envelope. I wasn't surprised, as most would consider this light a "budget" offering at about $50. Included in the envelope was the light, a holster, 3 spare orange o-rings, lanyard, spare switch, and spare GITD switch boot.

The holster has a velcro-plus-snap connection on the back, allowing you to take the holster on and off your belt without removing your belt, and seems secure enough to not come off on accident. The light fits either head up or head down in holster, and is secured by velcro. In either position, the head of the light is fully covered by the holster.

The tailcap is a cutout design with two holes for the lanyard, allowing tailstanding with the lanyard attached, and easy access for the thumb to the switch.

The light has mode memory, so it turns on in whatever mode you last had it in. The memory only lasts so long, so if it's been a while since you last turned it on, it will start in low. The mode sequence is low - medium - high. You can turn the light on only with a full click of the button, but once on you can change modes either by clicking the light off and on, or with a half-press of the button. If the light has been on in a certain mode for more than two seconds, the first time you try to change the mode will just leave you in the same mode, then you have to press the button again within two seconds in order to go to the next mode in sequence.

The GITD boot that came installed on the light is a yellowish color, and the extra included in the package is a light green. As you can see, there was a little bit of grit on the tailcap when I received it.

The reflector is what I would call light or medium orange peel, giving the light a smooth beam. OP reflectors don't tend to throw as well as smooth reflectors, but in a light with a head this size, you're not going to specialize in throw anyway. The LED seems to be well centered. There was a bit of dust on the inside of the lens and on the reflector when I got it, but the head assembly comes apart easily, so it won't be hard to clean that out.

Both the reflector and the tailcap switch are removed by using two small holes on the inside to unscrew them.

Both ends of the battery tube have spring contacts, so this light should work fine for button-top or flat-top cells (though I only have button-tops to test in it).

Both the tailcap and head assembly have two o-rings and square threads, that came mildly lubricated. These have a good feel when you take them on or off, and the head especially takes quite a few turns to remove, so it's not coming off accidentally. As you can see, there is a white coating on the threads which is a little uneven in places. The specs for the light make no claims about water resistance, but the double o-rings are there, so we'll see how it holds up...

Top: Tail, Bottom: Head

One of my favorite features of this light is that with the head assembly removed, it can tailstand for a nice candle (and what a candle!).

Another nice feature of the light (when you put the head back on) is the "strike bezel" with three protrusions, which allows you to see that the light is still on if you set it down head first.

The finish on the light is "woodland camo," which means it looks like a bunch of sticks. I think I'd prefer it if it looked like one big stick (just a "bark" finish) but hey, you can't have it all. The finish feels sort of like a cross between plastic and paint. It has some knurling on the body for grip, but the finish makes that a little less grippy, so the body of the light doesn't have quite the grip I'd like. However, it does have a large ant-roll grip ring near the head (not detachable, just part of the body) which gives more than enough grip overall.

The light has a glo ring inside the head assembly, between the reflector and the lens.

Finally, a shot of the light in hand, and a shot of the beam pattern about 1 meter from a white wall.

Current draw off fresh Trustfire flaming 18650 (measured at 4.21V):
Low - 134 mA
Medium - 878 mA
High - 2787 mA

Current draw off two fresh Energizer CR123's (measured at 6.13V together):
Low - 158 mA
Medium - 892 mA
High - 2802 mA

As a reminder, the specs claimed:
Low - 140 mA
Medium - 1000 mA
High - 2800 mA

Current draw graphs: Mode comparison, High mode, Medium mode, and Low mode. The low looks pretty blocky because I set the resolution a bit too high for such a long runtime. For all modes, after the cell (I used 2400 mAh Trustfire for each test) reaches 3.6V, it drops to a blinky mode about 1 blink per second at around 30mA until the battery is dead (I got tired of watching it blink after 15 hours).

As you can see, this light has little or no regulation, and the average output of any mode is about half of the max for that mode. As an interesting side note, each of the modes can be pretty closely approximated by a 3rd degree polynomial, so if you memorize the equation and keep a stopwatch with you, you can know pretty accurately the current going through your light at any time while you're using it . I won't be doing runtime tests with primaries (I don't have the funds for that), but the manufacturer states clearly to only run the light on high for 15 minutes at a time with primaries. Even with the 18650, on high I had to keep the light in a cup of ice water to keep it cool, and I had to add an ice cube 4 times during the test.

Time to 50%: 47 minutes
Time to blinky mode: 1 hour, 16 minutes

Time to 50%: 3 hours, 17 mintues
Time to blinky mode: 4 hours, 19 minutes

Time to 50%: 25 hours, 36 minutes
Time to blinky mode: 27 hours, 24 minutes

Subjective

General

This is a well put together light for the price. For indoor use, the light is going to be too bright to be practical. For outdoor use though, the low has been perfect for most applications in deep darkness, and the medium and high put out plenty of light when you need it. The light feels solid in the hand. The finish isn't the prettiest, but the camo is a welcome change from so many black lights. It doesn't feel as tough as HA-III, so we'll see how well it holds up over time. Right now, I've found no blemishes in the finish, even in the corners and around tight areas the pattern seems to have been applied well. I also like that there are no visible logos on the light. If you hold it so that the sun catches it just right, you can see something printed under the camo pattern, but under normal conditions it is invisible. Edit: After using gorilla tape to secure the light to light to my bike, I took the gorilla tape off and some of the camo finish came with it.

I really like the tailcap design on this light. The two-cutout design allows the thumb easy access to the switch, while still allowing a very stable tail stand. That, paired with the candle mode, gives this light some fun possibilities that not all lights have.

One complaint I have is the position of the anti-roll hexagon. Either I can have it enclosed in my hand when I hold the light, or I can put my hand up next to it. When it is in my hand, my thumb is too far from the switch to be comfortable. When my hand is next to it, I feel like I don't have a great grip on the light. Not a huge issue, but something to be aware of.

I like that I have the option to use 1x18650 or 2xCR123, but the specs for the light specifically state not to use 2xRCR123, which is kind of a bummer.

This is not an indoor light. The low is too high, and the spot is too tight. For indoor or close applications, you'll want floodier light with a lower low. However, for outdoor use this light has been pretty great, and the neutral tint just makes it that much better. In my opinion, the 4B bin is just right, not too cool and not too warm.

Overall, this light has out-shined a lot of the more expensive competition.

Camping

This weekend I got to take the light on a camping trip with several of my friends. I had a few other lights with me, but I did my best to try to use this one for most tasks so I could get a feel for how it performs as a camping light.

The first thing I noticed was that the low is just the right amount of light for getting around the camp site in the dark, walking trails, et cetera. Most of the short to medium range tasks were done well by the P-Rocket. I did feel like for close tasks (like finding items in my bag) the spot was too small and bright. Also, the low is too bright to turn on inside a tent while people are sleeping. When I needed more light to see further into the distance, I turned the light on medium or high, and was able to light up most of the field we were in, and see things pretty well for a couple hundred yards. For small amounts of light in pitch dark, you can cover the head with your hand and turn it on momentarily, then turn it back off and use the glow ring in the head for just a little light. It's not ideal, but if you only want to take one light with you, it will work in a pinch.

Before I had gotten this light out, several of the guys were admiring the new mag light that one of them had recently gotten for "mudding" (that's taking your truck through a mud course just for the fun of it, for you city kids :P ). We were walking down a path and heard something across the field, so I kicked the P-rocket into high and got an audible "whoa" from each man in the group.

One of the best things about this as a camping light is the great neutral tint. The most important job of a camping light, in my opinion, is to keep me out of poison ivy (I rarely camp in an area with any real danger). The neutral tint of this light was great for helping me to distinguish poison ivy from other plants, both by helping me see the color of the plant, and by giving me better color perception to see the shape of the leaves against the background.

I was slightly worried that the slick finish on the light would get slippery when it got wet, by after it rained and the light and my hands were wet, I was still able to keep a good grip on the light.

A great aspect of the P-Rocket as a camping light is that it isn't super expensive, so I don't feel bad about taking it into a situation where it might get damaged. It seems pretty tough, so I'm not too worried about damage, but I wouldn't want to take a $100+ light camping with me.

The woodland camo makes this light an obvious choice for camping. It really just fits with the "feel" of camping, and could only be improved by making the pattern of the finish look like a single stick, instead of several twigs.

Biking

To test this out as a biking light, I just strapped it to my current bike light with gorilla tape (I don't have any sort of universal bike light mount). It didn't look too pretty, though I think I would like the look of it without the tape, and just the light well-mounted on my bike.

I took the light through several areas on my bike at night, including a well-lit busy road, a partially-lit back road, dark residential areas, and some bike paths.

At the well-lit and busy road, I first just had the light turned on low so that I would be more visible, because I didn't need any light to see by. However, it wasn't long before a car pulled out in front of me and almost hit me. I can't be sure if they just weren't paying attention, but after that I bumped it up to medium so others could see me better, and I didn't have any more trouble. On the partially-lit back road, I switch back and for between medium and high as I went in and out of lit areas. I decided I really appreciate the ability to change modes with a soft-press (instead of turning the light off then on again) because it keeps me from having to be without light while I'm riding. Normally, I just consider the soft-press to change modes a convenience, but while biking I now consider it an essential.

Once I made it to the dark residential area, I mostly used medium and high. Low was enough to see where I was going, but I preferred the better look at things that medium or high got me. Medium was sufficient for most of the time, and I switch to high every once and while to see a sign in the distance or something. On the bike path, I used medium and high as well. Low would be enough to get around by if you need to conserve battery life, but I'd rather use medium and bring a few spare cells.

In dark areas, I found that the beam pattern was pretty good for biking overall. In places where I was turning more often or on a wide path, I sometimes wished I had a little bit more flood and a slightly wider spot. On straight or narrow paths, I really liked the tight hot spot that allowed me to see really far ahead. If this light was going to be ideal for biking, it would need to be a little floodier (I think a diffusion film would make it too floody), but really it works great and I will have no reservations using this light to bike at night in the future.

As for the run time, I know that can be a big concern while you're biking, because you don't want to have to stop riding to switch your battery. I started with a fresh cell and biked for a little over an hour, switching between modes but mostly using high and medium, and the cell lasted the whole time (it still has some juice in it). As far as I know, this light gives no warning when it's about to die, so that's not ideal for biking. I'll correct this if I find that it does. EDIT: After doing the runtime tests, I've found that when nearing 3.6V, the light drops drastically in output, then at 3.6V will go into a dim blinky mode until the battery runs out of juice.

Overall, a great light for biking. Plenty bright, a little floodier would be nice. Also, I'd suggest using a real bike mount, because with the tight spot, you need the light to stay right where you point it.
Bigmac_79 вне форума   Ответить с цитированием Вверх
Ответ  Создать новую тему
Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Поиск в этой теме:

Расширенный поиск

Copyright ©2007 - 2024, FONAREVKA.RU