Светодиодные фонари и световые приборы. Всё о светотехнике.
Вернуться   Форум FONAREVKA.RU Обзоры фонарей Flashlight Reviews
Расширенный поиск
Забыли пароль? Регистрация

• О нашем проекте
  • Светотехника и световые приборы
  • Правила форума
Проект FONAREVKA.RU специализируется на предоставлении всей необходимой информации по светотехнике:

— светодиодные фонари;
— различные источники питания;
— разнообразные зарядные устройства;
— освещение помещений и наружное освещение;
— световые приборы для личного, пассажирского и грузового транспорта;
— специальные световые приборы для медицины, для растений, для аквариумов, для террариумов, а также аварийно-сигнальные световые приборы;
— альтернативные источники света;
— лазеры и лазерная техника.

Если у вас есть вопросы по выбору фонарей, аккумуляторов и зарядных устройств ознакомьтесь с FAQ от наших экспертов:

F.A.Q. по выбору фонарей различных типов;
F.A.Q. по выбору аккумуляторов;
F.A.Q. по выбору зарядных устройств.
Ответ  Создать новую тему
Просмотров в теме 3371   Ответов в теме 0   Подписчиков на тему 0   Добавили в закладки 0
Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Старый 23.08.2013, 07:36 Автор темы   1
Увлеченный

Последняя активность: 21.04.2015 12:00

По умолчанию ReviewTheLight: Olight M22 Warrior

Like :thumbsup: my reviews on facebook!

Olight has been a well respected flashlight company for quite some time now, with lights of all sizes and purposes. Now that Cree has updated thier emitters to newer, more powerful and efficient versions, Olight has been quick to update their lights with the new top-of-the-line emitters, and I've been sent a batch of these for testing. In this review I'll cover the 18650 pocket rocket, the M22.

Thanks to Olight and GoingGear for providing the M22 for review.

I’ll be reviewing the M22 in two sections: first, I’ll discuss the light objectively (the facts about the light itself), then I’ll discuss the light subjectively (my impressions about the light's performance when used for specific applications). If you have any other specific applications you'd like the light tested for, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

3-Minute Overview

Below is a video "quick review" you can watch in just a few minutes, if you're not up for reading the full review right now:

Прямая ссылка на видео YouTube

This video is available in 720p HD, but defaults to a lower quality. To select the playback quality click the settings button (looks like a gear) after you've started the video.

Objective

Manufacturer's Specifications

Price: $95 USD

Packaging

The M22 comes in a black hard plastic case with two plastic latches, foam padded on the inside.

Construction

The M22 Warrior uses a single 18650 lithium ion or two CR123 lithium batteries. It's a bit longer than some others in this class, because it's got a deeper than average reflector.

The M22 uses the new Cree XM-L2 emitter, an upgrade form the previous XM-L. It's centered in a smooth reflector, medium width but deeper than average for similar lights. The entire head is covered in heat dissipation fins, which increase the surface area and help move heat into the air faster (very important for such a high output light this size).

On the body, one flat section has the model name and what I guess is a serial number, and another flat section has the Olight logo.

The rest of the body is covered in rings of rectangles to improve grip. Between the body and the tail is a grip ring, which includes a hole to attach a lanyard. The tail has a mechanical forward-click switch with a rubber switch cover. The switch extends beyond the crenelations on the tail cap, so this light does not tailstand.

Now, let's open it up!

The M22 comes apart into three sections: head, body, and tail.

Inside the head is a small spring, and the tail has a small spring-loaded piston, to make electrical connection with the battery terminals. This means the M22 can accept both button-top and flat-top cells of various lengths. The threads are thick, square-cut, and well lubricated, ensuring that they have a smooth feel and will last a long time. The threads on the tail cap are anodized, so if the tail is loosened the light will be in mechanical lockout and will not turn on.

Dimensions

Accessories

The M22 comes with a holster, 2xCR123 battery magazine, lanyard with lobster claw, and diffuser cap.

The diffuser cap has a rubber ring that fits snugly over the head of the M22, and a small loop that can be used to keep it attached while not in use.

User Interface

The M22 uses a tail switch and twists of the head to control three brightness modes, Low->Med->High, and a Strobe mode.

The tail switch recognizes both half-presses and full-presses. A single half press activates momentary light at the level you used last. Two quick half presses, holding the second, activates High mode. Three quick half presses, holding the third, activates Strobe mode.

A full press activates constant on. You can then cycle to the next mode in the sequence Low->Medium->High by loosening then tightening the head.

Action Shots

You can click on any of these shots to see them full size.

Light in Hand

White Wall (Low, Medium, High)
ISO 100, f/3.3, 1/20"

BeamSlice

MugShot

Indoor Shots (Low, Medium, High)
ISO 100, f/3.3, 1"

Outdoor Shots (
Low, Medium, High)
ISO 100, f/3.3, 2.5"

Long-Range Shots (
High)
ISO 100, f/3.3, 5"

Open vs. Diffused (High)
ISO 100, f/3.3

Performance

Submersion: I submersed the M22 under a foot of water for an hour, clicking the switch and changing the mode with small head twists. I could find no evidence of water entering or damaging the light.

Heat: After about 5 minutes, the M22 is noticeably hot, but not uncomfortably so. At that point, the light automatically switches to a lower lever, so the temperature doesn't raise much more after that.

PWM: I could detect no pulse-width modulation on any level of the M22.

Drop: I dropped the M22 from a height of about a meter onto various surfaces, including grass, carpet, packed dirt, and wood. There was no functional or cosmetic damage to the light.

Reverse Polarity Protection: I can find no claim by Olight of reverse polarity protection on the M22.

Over-Discharge Protection: I can find no claim by Olight of over-discharge protection, but the light does drop to a very low output when the voltage is low, so let that be your cue

Spectral Analysis

All light that we see as white is actually made up of several different colors put together. The relative intensities of the different colors in the mix are what determine the tint of the white we see. For example, cool white LED's have a lot of blue, and warm white LED's have more red or yellow. This measurement was done on a home made spectrometer. The plot below the picture is corrected for the spectral sensitivity of the human eye. Note: the peak in the 900nm region doesn't really exist, it's a piece of the second-order spectrum that's showing up here because of the high intensity of the light source.

Output and Runtime

ANSI FL-1 runtime ratings are the time it takes for a light to fall to 10% of it's original output (counting from 30 seconds after turning the light on).

The vertical axis of the graphs below represents a relative brightness measurement using a home made light box. The horizontal axis is time in hours:minutes:seconds. Runtimes are stated in hours:minutes:seconds. These graphs may be truncated to show detail.

Mode Comparison

High

This image has been truncated to show greater detail.

Medium

This image has been truncated to show greater detail.

Throwing Distance

ANSI FL-1 standard for stating a light's throwing distance is the distance at which the peak beam intensity (usually at the center of the beam) is 0.25 lux. I calculate throwing distance and candela (lux at 1 meter) by measuring peak beam intensity at five different distances and using the formula lux*distance^2=constant.

Peak Beam Intensity: 19,646cd
Throw Distance: 280m

Subjective Review

Quick break down:

+ Very bright
+ Quick access to high or strobe
+ Decent throw for it's size
+ Many heat dissipation fins
+ Low output when finished, not directly off
+ Included diffusers allows switching between throw and flood
+ Very solid build quality
+ Warmer tint than most "cool white" emitters
+ Rectangle pattern on body gives better grip than standard knurling

- Requires two hands to change brightness
- Grip ring on head makes it fell slightly bulky

What can I say about a light like this? It's going to be my new go-to 18650 for a while. I EDC a AA light and a CR2016 light for their small size and versatility, but I keep an 18650 light in my bag to have close to hand almost all the time. What I look for in that light is very high power available, simplicity and reliability, and decent throw. The M22 Warrior is now my favorite light in that category.

One of my favorite features of the M22 is it's direct access to High and Strobe by two or three clicks to the switch. I'm not a big fan of rotating the head back and forth to change the brightness (I'm a bigger fan of the setup of the Olight M3X, where you can pick the brightness before you turn it on). But I find that setting the default brightness to Low is nice, because I can do one click for Low, two for High, or three for Strobe. This means my light is simple and I can count on it to behave in a reliable manner that is easy to remember, and also a manner than just seems intuitive.

I've really been impressed with the build quality of all the Olights I've reviewed recently, and the M22 is no exception. Olight has shown they know what they are doing by giving it all those heat dissipation fins, the big rectangles instead of rough knurling for grip, the removable grip ring, springs at both ends of the battery tube, etc. The grip ring design at the head sort of makes it feel a bit bulky at times, but it's worth it for the extra grip when changing modes with head twists.

The runtime plots of the M22 were impressive as well. A solid high output for five minutes on High, then dropping to a level that is still significantly above Medium (justifying the mode being called High, instead of just Turbo), and a Medium with excellently flat regulation. At the end of both is a time of very low output, which I much prefer over a light that just turns off without giving you the time with light you need to actually find the next batteries.

I also really like the diffuser included with the M22. It gives a very smooth, even beam, well spread out over the area, only barely noticeably brighter in the middle than at the edges. The diffuser even comes with a loop to attach it to a lanyard, so it's easy to not loose. I'm generally not too into diffusers, but I find this one does a good job of really spreading the light out evenly. With this, you get the function of two lights while only having to carry (and buy!) a single one.

Overall, this light is really one of the top-of-the-line in it's class. Olight was quick to update their lights with the new XM-L2's, and their good move has put the M22 ahead of many similar lights. If you're looking for an excellent high-powered pocket torch that can double as either a mid-range thrower or a flooder, the M22 would be a great choice.

Long Term Impressions
I'll fill this part in after carrying the light for a while. If nothing get's added here, either I find nothing else worth noting about the light, or I end up not using it often.
Bigmac_79 вне форума   Ответить с цитированием Вверх
Ответ  Создать новую тему
Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Поиск в этой теме:

Расширенный поиск

Copyright ©2007 - 2024, FONAREVKA.RU